1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs in academy

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by gravell, Jan 21, 2012.

1. gravell

gravell New commenter

Was thinking about possibly applying for a job in an academy, it was lookin good until I saw the working hours "
    <ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">A longer day &ndash; 8.30am to 4.30pm
    Monday and Friday and 8.30am to 5.30pm Tuesday to Thursday.

<li class="MsoNormal">Teach more lessons each week.

<li class="MsoNormal">Contributing to the enrichment
    curriculum each week."[/LIST]Are they serious? Is this normal?

2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

The main purpose of academies was to break teachers' pay and conditions, so it's hardly a surprise.

3. Serious - deadly.
    Primarily academies can now do their own thing contract wise... What appears to be happening is that not only are the T&C departing from STPCD now, more similarly to other non-STCPD, but also are worsening for many - I would check on the number of employable days as well...

4. gravell

gravell New commenter

And people actually go for these jobs?
    Why?
    How desperate must they be?
    This is the first and last job in an academy I will even look at, let alone apply for!

5. Conparatively if you look at the conditions in many academies to STCPD positions, the working conditions are worse...
    BUT some of them are run by HTs/SMTs that have - arguably - more drive/flair/enthusiasm etc with regards progress/educational development.
    Some positions that I have seen DO have better financial renumeration tha comparable jobs in non-academies...
    Given the number of schools that are supposedly going for Academy status I would envisage that long-term teachers working conditions are going to alter extensively! And some may argue that you are better hopping on the band wagon NOW when the conditions are more preferable than when the education market is flooded with academies....
    As for why do people go for these vacancies - when in need of pastures new (often due to very negative experiences in current job) or relocation - with the threat of no money, any teaching job is better than none.... we certainly now question whether to employ unemployed teachers over those employed when interviewing as to is there a reason they have remained unemployed so long (if no mitigating circumstances....)

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If Academies go down this route, they will find it hard to recruit/retain the most able teachers, and end up relying on those who can't get a job with better pay and conditions. They will also have teachers working harder to fulfil the minimum requirements of the job and therefore having less time to improve. The result - Academies will find their results going downhill and, therefore, people will be less likely to want to send their children there. Thus, the whole idea of Academies boosting standard will go.
    Of course, if most schools become Academies and offer similar conditions, then teachers will not find it easy to get a better job. Then, the problem will become one of recruiting new teacher trainees.

7. DM

DM New commenter

You might end up eating those words. All schools will be academised sooner or later.

8. I would agree with this. In my local city, most of the secondary schools are now Academies. I especially noticed the number of kids still in uniform up until the day before Christmas Eve! Shape of things to come (and in secondary, in some areas, pretty much already there!)

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Those teachers who moved across with TUPE keep their previous pay and conditions.
    New recruits sign different contracts and some who could have transferred with TUPE have felt obliged to sign new contracts too.
    My experience of supply at an Academy is that teachers are in effect contracted to provide after-school 'enrichment', previously known as (voluntary) after-school clubs.
    I've become aware of HODS and SMT meeting on Saturdays on a regular basis. When I asked one HOD (presumably on TUPE) how that squared with the contract restrictions on Directed work Days/hours, she simply said that 'they' did not look favourably on you if you didn't 'play ball' so she felt she had no option but to turn up.
    There will be some teachers who decide to move back to LA controlled schools a.s.a.p but there's a sting in the tail in my opinion. LA schools will have to take on more and more challenging pupils, permanently excluded by Academies and Free schools (with no fines for excluding them. LA schools are fined when they take that action).
    With more challenging pupils on board, LA schools' results will go down. Teachers will soon be at risk of being fired if their classes fail to show improvement every term. There will be more classes in LA schools where getting pupils to sit down will be an achievement, with educational progress a distant prospect.
    Academies and Free schools, with their extra funding, will have waiting lists and will be able to off-load unco-operative pupils and replace them with more amenable ones.
    Statistics will eventually show that LA schools have more poor teachers than Academies and Free schools. No-one will dare say that the poor performance of the class was down to the uncontrollable pupils or the complex learning needs of pupils in the LA Inclusive schools.
    Teaching in an LA school, with better terms and conditions will become a poisoned chalice.

10. gravell

gravell New commenter

It had occured to me and it worries me

11. gravell

gravell New commenter

And the future of teaching worries me too

12. It is in FE. Academies can do what they like because they are outside of Government control. The Government likes these types of hours so much that it wants everyone to follow them.
    Congratulations again, Mr G! Another spectacular own goal for the next general election, as the only people who will vote for you now will be the bullying Heads and members of SMT!

13. Do you realise how daft you sound to anyone else working out of schools or in the private school sector? Pretty standard stuff anywhere else. (You are likely to get time away from class anyway, during the daytime, if colleagues I know of are anything to go by.)

14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

When I worked in the private sector, I usually arrived between 7.30 and 8.00 am and left between 5.30 and 6.00pm. However, I never went home with hours of work to do when I got there, so my total working hours now are more than I did in banking., And I got paid more.

15. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I sometimes wonder if you exist on this forum simply to antagonise others.
    Teaching 8.30-5.30 is about a normal day, yes, though most people would take more than the 15-20mins lunch most teachers take. As you well know, teachers do not leave school at the same time as pupils. I am generally there for around 2 hours after pupils have gone, as well as about 30-45mins before pupils get in. You're talking about teachers working 7.45-7.30 each day. Not many jobs require nearly a 12 hour day, 5 days per week, plus extra work at home.
    I don't know many teachers that get more than their 10% PPA (plus 10% NQT time if relevant) off timetable.