1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs - Has it already peaked?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Ayahuasca, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Was wondering if the job situation has peaked now. Generally is there more jobs posted after fairs? I haven't heard from jobs I applied to at the beginning of Dec. Should I write those off?

2. 576

576 Established commenter

preferred candidate dropped out!
    Not at all!
    Here - the law means that at the end of contracts all vacancies have to be advertised, even if I want to renew my contract the vacancy is advertised as an ex-pat cannot get a work visa for a job a local wants & can do. So all posts are advertised.
    Then, someone decided late in the day to resign their position. Only 1 month's notice is required here.
    My point is simple - you just can't know how the country you are applying to work with these matters unless you have insider information.
    My current head has worked in several international schools and tells me that it is quite normal for them to advertise positions where contracts are coming to an end - even though the existing teacher may remain - so just because there is a job advertised it doesn't mean that there really is a position vacant.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

In which case it would be nice if the advert mentioned that the incumbent was applying for the position. It would save people wasting time with an application, and show some goodwill, on the part of the school, to the incumbent - unless, of course the school wanted to get rid of them.

What country are you in? It would be nice to know if some of my applications might possibly be being discarded for this reason.

4. Well I certainly hope it hasn't peaked yet [​IMG]