1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs for September

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ecampbell31, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ecampbell31

ecampbell31 New commenter

I have just returned from teaching abroad and wanted to do part-time supply until I made a decision about where I want to work long-term in September. However, jobs for September seemed to be advertised now and to top it off, there are few day-to-day supply jobs in my area. If I got a job now for September, can the school change their mind and cancel the post before then?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo will hopefully pick this up, but another time to make sure she sees it you need to start your post Dear Theo. . . . or tag her like this @TheoGriff.
    Meantime, yes jobs for a September start will start to be advertised soon and schools will want to know they have any vacancies filled by the 31st may deadline if possible, as staff already in post have until that date to hand in their notice. After that only NQTs or people not in post would be able to apply. Therefore as you're currently not 'in post', you will be able to apply for any vacancies advertised after that date.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This year, schools are starting advertising now jobs for September. Earlier than ever, because of the scare that there is a shortage of teachers.

I suppose that they could. Just as you could accept a job, and then tell them in June that you are back off to Dubai . . .

In both cases it would be a breach of contract

Best wishes

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Does that mean that you're not convinced that there is one? Or that it is at least different from ones in the past?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmm.

No, I am not convinced that there is a shortage of every type of teacher in every part of the country.

@JL48

Let's see what we know.

1 They have not recruited enough trainees to ITT, as the economy picks up and other careers look attractive

2. Teachers are leaving the profession in the first five years in increasing numbers

3. There is some evidence that teachers are also leaving the profession later in their careers in increasing numbers

4. There is an age bulge of teachers coming up to retirement soon

5. For the last couple of years there has been increasing difficulty appointing some types of teacher, especially in the S.E.

And this last bit is getting worse

But against this we need to look at the fact that in recent years there has also been an over supply in some areas. Three years ago, 100 or more applicants was not unusual for primary posts in the N.E., for example. Some schools reported 200!

And over the last 6-7 years. It was often the case that those leaving PGCE courses were finding it hard to get first jobs, with up to half of them still not having started their induction by January.

So although we are losing teachers fast, and not replacing them, there is , I believe, still some leeway because we haven't yet soaked up all the over supply of the recent past.

But having said that, the S.E. is fast becoming a problem area in more than just the traditional Maths shortage.

Let's Phone-A-Friend and ask @John_in_Luton to tell us about his current challenges.

Best wishes

ecampbell31 and JL48 like this.
  6. MsJ001

MsJ001 New commenter

I know in Central England there is a shortage of teachers. The local Council has even taken to recruiting from other regions and a lot of schools are offering relocation and retention bonuses, to the right candidates.

I know a lot of my friends, who have been teaching for 10 years or so, are leaving the profession.

I think there is a shortage of experienced teachers. It used to be that schools could recruit enough NQTs to fill the spaces. However, by my understanding, OFSTED has said this is bad practice, and that there should be a mixture of NQTs and experienced staff in a school.

Personally, I am looking for a job for September, but I really want to go into management. So I am hoping that there is a shortage in that respect, as it will mean I have more of a chance!:)

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Will schools have the money to recruit experienced teachers? They may only be able to afford the young, the unqualified or TAs.

Well, there will be a shortage of heads apparently.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Indeed there will!

:D

Best wishes

9. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Sorry, been away for a few days!

In the south east, there is a shortage of practically every kind of teacher; maths, science and English have always been in short supply, and humanities are now also increasingly resembling hen's teeth, particularly geographers. Primary is also increasingly desperate. The only surplus at the moment is PE, and niche subjects like art, music, drama, dance etc where departments are small and there are still more applicants than jobs.

While five years ago there were no vacancies at all in places like Wales, the West Country and anywhere in the north of England, because of falling pupil numbers and a good supply of trainee teachers in those areas, there are now starting to be openings there as well, though the situation is nothing like as dire as in the south of England. I even heard of an NQT getting a job in Wales last year, something unknown in living memory. However, job hunters who head south and east of a line on a map which roughly runs Hull-Northampton-Birmingham-Oxford-Southampton will significantly load the dice in their favour.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

11. hope4thefuture

hope4thefuture New commenter

@John_in_Luton

Do you know what the situation is like for MFL teachers? Is there any particular difference between languages?

12. Proyector

Proyector New commenter

I am also wondering what the situation is for MFL teachers. I say this because most of the jobs seem to be in the north and hardly any in London or Surrey. I know that it is still early days but I am concerned that only a small portion of the MFL jobs are London based and so I can only imagine that even if more jobs come out near to Easter that they will not necessarily be in the London region. I am surprised that there are more MFL jobs outside of London as this has not been the case in the past.

13. Proyector

Proyector New commenter

14. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The main languages in demand are Spanish and French and in some schools where only one language is being offered ( due to reduced funding) this tends to be Spanish - which ( rightly or wrongly) is perceived as the "easier" language.
    Language departments are only just recovering after being initially excluded from the E Bacc -which led to a dramatic drop in demand.
    To echo Theo and John the market is locally determined. Where there are larger numbers of ITT providers such as in North East of England and South East of London then there tends to be an influx of NQTs each summer. Other parts of the country are less well served - for example Essex, parts of Suffolk and North East London- these are where most vacancies tend to occur.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Certainly is up to GCSE.

Thanks for helpful comments, as always, @welshwizard .

Best wishes

16. ecampbell31

Thank, I'll remember to do that next time. I just wonder how many positions will still be available in a few months time.

17. ecampbell31

Thanks for that, my mind is a little more at ease.

18. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Same situation in Essex as described above by @John_in_Luton...ridiculously difficult to find teachers for Science (my subject), Maths, English, Humanities and Modern Languages. I foresee my school having problems in September, along with every other school in the area...

19. hope4thefuture

hope4thefuture New commenter

You're just showing your bias! ;-) I think once you start looking at German, Mandarin, Russian and the rest, French and Spanish start looking like two very similar beasts.

Regardless, it doesn't seem that there is much of an MFL teacher shortage anywhere. @John_in_Luton didn't mention it in his original post, which I guess he would have done otherwise.

I also hadn't realised that MFL had been excluded from the Ebacc at first. Thanks for the info. @welshwizard

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nah!

Aimer
    Aimez
    Aimé
    Aimée
    Aimés
    Aimées

All the above are pronounced the same; you have to know which spelling is correct.

Aimai
    Aimais
    Aimait
    Aimaient

All the above are pronounced the same; you have to know which spelling is correct. And to many English ears, they sound pretty like the 6 earlier ones. So a choice of 10 ways to spell that word.

But Spanish is almost always spelled as it is said, and said as it is spelled.

Unlike English . . . the trouble I have trying to explain when, why, where, but who. :) Or where and here . . .

Biased? Moi? :)

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.