1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs for parent helpers?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by daisypetals, Jan 19, 2012.

1. What do you have your parent helpers do? I have one in every single day and have run out of jobs for them.

While children are in assembly I ask them to do jobs such as:
    Sharpen pencils
    Put messages in book bags

What else can i get them to do while children are out of the room?

What do your parent helpers do while the children are in the room?

All ideas appreciated [​IMG]

2. What do you have your parent helpers do? I have one in every single day and have run out of jobs for them.

While children are in assembly I ask them to do jobs such as:
    Sharpen pencils
    Put messages in book bags

What else can i get them to do while children are out of the room?

What do your parent helpers do while the children are in the room?

All ideas appreciated [​IMG]

3. I don't have any this year, but if I did they would-
    tidy the homecorner
    go through the lost property and check for names on stuff
    sort out the construction toys
    cut up paper for the craft table
    tidy books in the book corner
    photocopy stuff
    get reading bags ready for reading groups
    make playdough

and.................
    tidy, tidy, tidy!

4. Laminating (with a bit of training)
    Cutting out letters etc for display
    Also: playing words games/bingo etc with a group
    Playing in the playdough

5. I get mine to help with painting, collage, any 'making' activity that would benefit from a bit of adult support, playing games (cards, bingo, dominoes, board games etc.)
    I also ask them to read the children's home reading books with them (different to the books we use in school) especially those children whose families don't often read with them at home.
    I don't ask them to support activities outdoors too often, they don't always come back!!

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I use mine to support the kids......!
    Either listening to readers (there's never enough time for me and the TA to do that) or working with a group in maths/literacy. Not necessarily doing any teaching, but chivvying them to write the date, sit down, GET ON! etc.
    I am in Y1 though....perhaps if you're in nursery that's not so relevent.

7. Having parents in the classroom to help is a huge responsibility; they are not being paid like an Ed Assistant, but I feel simply asking them to 'tidy' is not stimulating unless they enjoy organising things. I would ask them what they did/do pre-kids and what they would like to contribute/what their strengths are (some might like to take a group for 'cooking'). If they are physical, outdoor time might suit them. Covering books with contact
    ?. Repairing/converting dressing up clothes is something I appreciate. One-on-one on the computer is a real help. However, maybe they are simply in class to see how teaching and learning actually happens and they feel more confident in supporting their child out of school after seing what you do.

8. Always depended on the individual strengths and interests of the parents when I had them in-class. One of ours wasn't the most literate or numerate chap, but was an utter godsend doing jobs like laminating and cutting out stuff for everyone in the school, another was cracking with hearing readers (and bringing in cake - always a plus point when you've got a parent helper whom you'll turn around and find the cake and cuppa fairy's visited your desk), when I used to go into help with schools I generally ended up doing arty stuff either with the kids, or changing over role plays, backing display boards etc.

9. You can chat to the parents and find out their strengths/ weaknesses -what they would love to do to enhance your class, then you can plan lovely sessions for them. You can smugly say 'I would use them with the 'children'. You can do what you want with a parent helper but the OP asked what jobs she could give a parent helper to do during assembly time, so i presume for about 10-15 minutes when the children are not in the class. Therefor I think tidying is a perfectly acceptable activity, not just something for lesser beings (like myself)to do!