1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jobs for non teaching husbands when wife teaching in sce school

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by donein, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hi there
    just applied for a job in sce school in belgium and was interested what the job prospects are like for non teaching husbands. Does anyone have thier husband with them and have they been able to find employment and how. He is an electrician and we were hoping there may be some opportunities available.

Also wandering if there are any child care facilities on the campuses? Any information of experiences of married teachers with young children would be fantastic.
    Thanks!!!!

2. Hello,

I can't tell you specifically about SHAPE but I work in SCE and can give you a general overview. Spouses very often find employment. You may find this to especially be the case as that school is isolated. In Brunei most spouses find employment often within the school! There are normally lots of child care opportunities within the garrisons ranging from creches to independent child minders.

If you contact the HIVE www.hive-bfg.co.uk/shape they will be able to give you definite answers!

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Depending on your OH's skill set, the school may be able to find him a post, if he is completely unskilled, they may find him a place in the PE department.

Better to wait until after you have been offered the job.

I hope your references do not let you down again Dawn.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

And whatever you do in the interview, avoid spouting clichés such as 'Mathematics is a language'. Bbibbler did it once and they asked him to conjugate an equation.