1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jobs for ex teachers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cloudgazer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am thinking of a career change after 15 years as a primary school teacher. I have a few ideas: selling educational products, teaching English as a foreign language or becoming a child minder. But I just wondered if anyone else has changed careers and what line of work they went into.
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I am thinking of a career change after 15 years as a primary school teacher. I have a few ideas: selling educational products, teaching English as a foreign language or becoming a child minder. But I just wondered if anyone else has changed careers and what line of work they went into.
    Thanks

3. A colleague of mine opened her own art shop where she sells paintings she has made over the years, plus art supplies and other bits and bobs. She admits she takes home less money, but feels one hundred times happier so it is good for her. Another person I know got a job answering the phone to 999 calls. I suppose it depends on the person, the amount of money you need to cover your bills and what skills you have that you would like to use. Hope you think of something that makes you happy :)

4. I worked in a call centre, insurance company, online teaching ... and back to teaching in primary school again.

5. Thanks mixu, online teaching sounds interesting. What was it like? Did you get full time work?

6. I worked 3 afternoons a week for an established school. Taught everything you could online using powerpoints. I enjoyed it so much it encouraged me back into the classroom.

7. I'm still working on where I'm going next, but trying to use my degree and MSc to go back into conservation (which I did before teaching) feels like what I want to do. Not masses of jobs in that field though, and not well paid at all. However, my mental health and enjoyment are more important to me than the money

8. I'm teaching a humanities subject at A level and GCSE. However there are redundancies on the horizon and I wonder if I will be one of the ones to go. I've got a PhD in my subject area from a prestigious university and a QTS PGCE. I've been thinking about alternative careers. I've been thinking of changing to social work, there is a fast track route into it, although it is very competative to get onto. I've also thought of an administration job at a school or college.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

TEFL has so many teachers already, the only jobs to be found are in the summer or abroad, unless you get the DELTA. The clamping of visas for foreign students saw a great reduction in the numbers coming here, also the current climate in Libya has led to no new students coming here.

10. zenzuata

zenzuata New commenter

If you contact Briteschool, who do Primary teaching online, they'll maybe give you a demonstration as to how it works, then you could be better informed about things and have more thoughts about what you could do (I know a few teachers who do 1-to-1 stuff online, too).

11. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

How did you find that. My son has been doing this for a while for a car insurance company and is very enthusiastic.

12. I applied to NatWest ... did a few telephone interviews and then full on interview. I think banks take on call centre employees quite regularly.
    I had three weeks training which was excellent.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Jobs for ex-teachers?
    1) lap dancer
    2) apprentice to a tea stirrer's mate
    3) underwater tap dancer
    4) bed tryer outer
    5) wheel tapper and shunter

You're right: I'm not taking this too seriously. [​IMG]
    I'll get me coat!!
    [​IMG]

14. I get the impression that employers do not think that ex-teachers can do anything else. Perhaps any would-be employers have had bad experiences of school.

15. I am going back to university next week to re-train in a health profession. Luckily I am receiving a student salary rather than the NHS bursary otherwise it would have been extremely difficult financially.

16. donna79

donna79 New commenter

Just wondering how you manage to get a student salary instead of a NHS bursary? I am also thinking of re-training in a health profession in the future.

17. It was arranged through the university. When I had my interview it was still going to be the NHS salary so I was prepared for a paycut, the student salary is only a recent development, I think because the subject qualifies you for a shortage profession.
    What profession are you interested in re-training for?

18. donna79

donna79 New commenter

Thanks for that. I was looking into occupational therapy which i've been interested in for a couple of years. Not sure how I could afford to make the change though!

19. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Sorry, I actually meant "how did you like that?" Regional speech variation!! You must have thought I was pretty thick!