1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

*** jobs for 2020 advertised

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by february31st, Sep 4, 2019.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I know some international schools that haven't been back at work for a week and the first job advertised for 2020 are appearing, I blame climate change for the early arrivals.

2. ed717

ed717 New commenter

I noticed that too! I'm looking to move on after this year (so in August 2020). Would you say if schools are advertising this early its a warning sign, or are they just extra organised?

3. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

A few jobs advertised here in the UAE, but The National ran a story over the weekend with the title 'Rising competition for teachers leads to some UAE schools struggling to fill posts' which they say is because of increased demand for teachers in Asia, Australia and elsewhere.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

it might also have something to do with things falling as well as rising, Mr_Frosty.

5. Mr_Frosty

I have no idea either way, but I do know that for the last 3 years or so many schools have been cutting the number of teachers, maybe the cuts have gone too far and they're short now. Either way there are quite a few jobs being advertised - a lot at EYFS(?) or Primary age groups in particular - or so it seems, it could just be they're the ones I remember more.

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

20 years ago when I first worked in Bangkok we used to be asked in Nov/Dec for our "intentions" and then had to resign, or not, just after the Christmas holidays. Over the years that date has slowly crawled back and people at the bigger school are now being asked in about late August or early September what they intend to do. The interview process has changed a good deal with a group of senior staff going to the UK to visit prospective teachers in situ and watch them teach a class, rather than going on what could, in the olden days, be dodgy references...Lets face it these schools charge a LOT of money and don't want to be seen scrabbling around in May or June to fill their slots, I also know that my school puts an advert in in September purely as a fishing exercise for those "hard to fill" posts such as Maths and Physics...They obviously have a filing cabinet somewhere where they have a just in case draw.

Perce

PS I notice that I am still an occasional commentator. How does that work after nearly 20 years? Maybe I should start advertising my blog?

7. Mr_Frosty

I'd guess it's 'total number of posts' related?

percy topliss likes this.
  8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I think there's a shortage in UAE because they thought they could cut salaries overall, forgetting that international teachers aren't wedded to one country and that the schools were actually competing against higher-paying schools in Asia - this is apparently being made worse by the recently announced salary increased in England and Scotland which means some teachers who might have been tempted are waiting.

Potentially good news, though, for someone who wants to move this year.

towncryer and Mr_Frosty like this.
  9. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

We've had bigger than anticipated tak-up in some subjects at 6th form this year and don't have enough teachers to split classes so are already planning to recruit additional staff for next year. The ads haven't gone in yet though.

10. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

Some but not all are very well organised, because they will have expansion plans and know what additional teachers they will need. I know that my school tends to advertise new posts in September and then has a second campaign in December / January for replacement posts, although the latter has not been that many in recent years

11. february31st

There is a shortage of teachers here and around Shanghai particularly in the new bilingual schools. Just having a look at one of the job adverts, you have to do some digging to find out the school will run for an extra 2 weeks and longer working day compared to its international twin!

At least 10 new schools have opened up in Shanghai this year and none of them have considered where the teachers are going to come from to do the teaching.

It doesn't matter how early you advertise a post if you are offering 200 plus days contact time, 2 Saturday mornings a month duties, hours from 7.30 - 16.30, 25k rmb before tax, no Christmas holiday and expect to fill positions.

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Just remember Feb 31st's advice - if it says 'bilingual' in the name, run for the hills!

You wonder about the business ability of the owners of those schools and, indeed, their viability if they can't/don't/won't think about where their teachers are going to come from. The only thing I can think of is that they are related to the factory owners who used to supply goods for major multinationals while using cheap migrant labour in China, and think they can apply the same business logic to teachers....

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Oh honestly, could we please leave it out? Yes, some schools that have "bilingual" in their title are absolutely horrible, I am sure. But there also might be other schools, whether in China or elsewhere, that do NOT have "bilingual" as part of the school's name and they are still dreadful. Okay, okay, recently there have been a lot of new "bilingual" schools popping up all over the Middle Kingdom and yes, probably many of them are dreadful places in which to be an expat teacher. But let's not tar every bilingual school with the same brush, please.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  14. february31st

Some of of the jobs for 2020 have a closing date of the 20th September. If you are only back at work for two weeks do you fancy knocking on your principals door and asking for a reference ?

15. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Agreed, not for the faint hearted but you will need a reference from the Principal and the best schools advertise so early these days. Some have their resignation letter ready for day one of the new academic year, and a decent Principal should respect that and help accordingly. But this assumes the Principal is - well - principled. And many aren’t...

adrixargentina and towncryer like this.
  16. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

It's really bad when schools advertising jobs ask for references even before an interview/shortlist. How many times can you keep asking your school head and then your refused a job. Your school will know eventually but this is not necessary.

This is definitely a problem early in the year September/October. You just start a new term and your thinking of leaving doesn't look good. What if you decide you want to stay at your school? Doesn't set the best impression. Doesn't matter how understanding a head teacher is. Policies like this make finding a teacher more difficult.

17. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I'd say it has more to do with them being extremely picky about teaching qualifications these days.This idea they have of teaching subject matching the degree means many good teachers are disqualified.

adrixargentina likes this.
  18. february31st

What some schools and countries have not figured out is if they require "gold standard" for teachers there is a need to pay more gold in salaries.

But any country that restricts visa but still allows people with a iPGCE in as a teaching qualification have no idea what they are doing.

19. Mr_Frosty

I know that is often cited, but as I always say I personally know a number of teachers here whose degree does not match the subject they teach and they've had no problems getting a visa or visa renewal, though I think one of them did have some equivalency issues but I suspect that was due to the institution haveing changed names since they graduated.

I understand some schools wont take the risk in case the application gets knocked back, but it's definitely possible here in Abu Dhabi.