1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs and parenting

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by nobbycat, May 1, 2008.

1. It's what you make of it. I had to return full time to a HODs post after little Nobbycat number 1 was born. It was hard work but the hardest time is when they start school, so after the happy arrival of Nobbycat no 2 I now work part time - still as a HOD and with the reduction in teaching load it has worked. You just have to prioritise. I made the decision that I was not going to give up on what I had achieved so far. If you give your position up, you end up starting again when children are older etc. I feel I have the best of both worlds. I work the equivalent of 4 days, but am there to pick up oldest Nobbycat at the end of the day - priceless!
    It can work, but at the end of the day, children come first over any job. You begin to see the job in terms of what it provides for you rather than the be all and end all of your life.

Good luck

2. I've just about coped with my HOF role since returning last November. Now I'm pregnant with my second child (an accident after it taking two and a half years to conceive No 1!) and I'm seriously considering stepping down from the role because just having the one child has been hard enough. Dealing with the oral GCSE and morning sickness this week has been a nightmare.

3. Nobbycat - just wondered - how were the School when you requested to go part time as HOD. I am a new HOD this year and get married in October. I would hope not long after we start trying for our first child. Obviously I am concerned (just a little) about work. SLT are very supportive (Head and Deputy both female - with famil- whih helps) and I am thinking if we can afford I would like to come back 4 days. I am very orgainsed with work and feel I could still just as good a job on 4 days. I wondered where I stood if I requested this?

LooLoo

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You have the right to have your request for part-time considered, but if school can give good reasons why they can't meet your request (and the 'best' or usual one is that they have been unable to find a suitable 'partner' for the other bit of your job - in secondary, one day a week is very difficult to fill).
    Similarly, in theory TLRs are not supposed to be 'split' between two people and so they might well argue that if you want to drop down to part-time you'll have to give yup your TLR.
    I'm not supporting this view - merely saying what they might say.

5. you're right that TLRs can't be split but you can job share a TLR job post <u>and</u> job share a mainscale/UPS post and therefore effectively share a TLR. I did this with a colleague who I formerly shared a management point with. When these disappeared we successfully argued (with the help of the union) that job sharing 2 posts was both possible and desirable from a work life balance point of view.
    I work full time and have 2 small children - I find it quite manageable but only because my husband is a stay at home dad, whether it is manageable for you may well depend on what suppport you have at home.