1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs After Spring Bank Deadline

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SteveWoodhouse, May 20, 2019.

1. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

I'm currently due to be out of work at the end of the academic year, so I'm looking for something else.

I appreciate there a cut off for handing your notice in at the end of this month, though that won't apply to me.

What happens in the teacher's job market after Spring Bank? There must be people who are offered a job this week, and hand their notice in just before the deadline, and some of those jobs won't be suitable for NQTs.

So what do schools usually do to fill the position?

Do they fill it with supply, then advertise for a January start?

Do they post an advert in June in the hope they'll find someone like me?

What's it like at TES Jobs in early June? Totally dead?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Answer to those questions- all and any of the above.

As you rightly surmise anyone being offered a new post or promotion this week will have to hand their notice in pretty speedily to meet the end of May deadline (if working under normal Burgundy Book regs.) and therefore there may well be job in the first couple of weeks in June, which only people like yourselves or NQTs will be able to apply for.

And bearing in mind accidents/ illness/ family crises or moves there may be odd jobs advertised right up until August.