1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jobs after nqt?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Kidders, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

I'm not sure teaching is for me. I have always wanted to be a teacher but after a tough pgce and now finding the workload on nqt becoming too much to cope with I'm wondering what else there is out there?!

I don't want to be a failure but i feel like I'm giving the kids a disservice and I'm causing myself so much stress that I may actually be suffering from depression but due to my stubborn nature will not get this diagnosed by a gp ! Bottom line is I don't want all this stress, these crazy hours or the grief off the kids, smt or ofsted anymore! Yes I'm only at the start of my career so it may get easier.

Thoughts and advice would be lovely as feeling low!

K

2. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

I'm not sure teaching is for me. I have always wanted to be a teacher but after a tough pgce and now finding the workload on nqt becoming too much to cope with I'm wondering what else there is out there?!

I don't want to be a failure but i feel like I'm giving the kids a disservice and I'm causing myself so much stress that I may actually be suffering from depression but due to my stubborn nature will not get this diagnosed by a gp ! Bottom line is I don't want all this stress, these crazy hours or the grief off the kids, smt or ofsted anymore! Yes I'm only at the start of my career so it may get easier.

Thoughts and advice would be lovely as feeling low!

K

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Look, depression is a medical condition - if you need help, get it. Pride doesn't pay the bills or cure an illness.
    I'm not sure what you want. You seem to be talking yourself out of it, but want us to talk you back in? It's a tough job in which you'll make mistakes, deal with cruddy classes and out of touch senior management - could be worse, you could work in retail.
    If you don't feel teaching is for you, that's fine. You don't want to go to a job you hate and you don't want to let classes down by doing the bare minimum. Choose what is right for you - You never know, a year away from it may give you some emotional distance.