1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jobs advertised as Mainscale

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mazjak, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I am on upper pay scale 1 but nearly all the class teacher jobs I see advertised are advertised as Mainscale. Does that mean they wouldn't even consider me? I applied for one last week that didn't have a salary grade on it and now I see it has had "mainscale" added to the advert online! Guess that was a waste of time then...

2. I am on upper pay scale 1 but nearly all the class teacher jobs I see advertised are advertised as Mainscale. Does that mean they wouldn't even consider me? I applied for one last week that didn't have a salary grade on it and now I see it has had "mainscale" added to the advert online! Guess that was a waste of time then...

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

UPS1 is mainscale, in theory. It just means that there is no TLR. So your application should be admissable.
    However there is no denying that it is harder for you because the school will save money appointing someone less experienced.
    This means that your application must be absolutely OUTSTANDING, emphasising the things that will outweigh the cost of employing you.
    Are you reading all the advice on how to do this? In my reply to this post I give a summary.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/546908.aspx?PageIndex=1#7226859
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Best wishes

4. Many thanks for your reply Theo. I have followed all your advice, did the executive summary etc. The thing that will probably hold me back is the fact that I have had a 5 year career break to raise my children. Wondering how many schools will even consider someone this expensive after a 5 year break! I'm feeling a bit like I'm fighting a losing battle, seems supply might be my only option :(