1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jobs abroad

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bendavey, Mar 30, 2012.

1. My question is quite a detailed one if thats ok.

I am interested in applying for jobs abroad but these inevitably involve a reference from my current headteacher.
    (Just to clarify, i currently like my school, just not my living situation and want to go abroad.)
    My fear is that once my headteacher is aware that i am seeking jobs abroad she will inevitably look to replace me. Hence if i then don't get a job that i apply for and fail to get one soon afterwards then i will be forced out of my current job, leaving me jobless (whilst i know i can be actually forced to leave unless i do something wrong, I am aware of situations in the past where it has been made very hard for teachers to stay at the school once the head wants them out).

If i were to be jobless i don't have enough savings to survive without a job for very long, so would then be looking at losing my flat (quite a big gamble).

Any advice about how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Perhaps the "Teaching Overseas" forum might be a goood place to start looking for the answers to your questions.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, she shouldn't start looking until you have handed in your notice. She could actually be in trouble in some circs for doing this.
    It's not that easy to get people out of jobs - don't worry!
    Go to her. Tell her that you just LOVE working in her school, so many excellent professional development opportunities, and great to be working with such a good team of colleagues.
    Make it sound sincere.
    But you have this hankering to go abroad, and so are looking for opportunities in foreign parts, although you are not sure if you will find something that suits you or where they think that you suit them.
    You are fairly relaxed about this, tell her, because you know that you have a great job already, so if this other thing doesn't come off, it will be no big deal.
    However, you add, you do realise that this will mean that she has the trouble of writing references, and are very grateful to her for that. Finally say that you will give her as much notice as possible if you do get a job, so that she will have warning for recruiting a replacement.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

4. Thanks for all the advice. Sorry for not replying sooner, I'm new to these forums and couldn't find this post again after writing it!