1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job wrongly advertised

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gabriela.boiangiu, Nov 10, 2015.

?

what are my rights as a job seeker/applicant?

1. the school is always right

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. the candidate has the right to decline an offer based on personal reasons.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gabriela.boiangiu

gabriela.boiangiu New commenter

Hello,
    I have had a bad experience with an application and implicitly an interview I went for at a school in France. The vacancy was advertised as Teacher of Art with the possibility of taking the Head of Art responsibility. The only job description which was present on the tes advert said: 'The successful applicant will be a passionate and talented classroom practitioner who will lead a small team and build upon the considerable success already enjoyed by this department. Teaching will cover the age and ability range, KS3, KS4 and A Level.'
    This was a maternity cover and I was planning to go and work in France to be closer to my boyfriend, and with plenty of teaching experience, I thought doing a Head of Art role for 6 months would have been ideal. I applied....I got an interview email, and then I eventually went for the interview. I will not get in all the details of how things went, but as I was in France, after two different interviews on the day, I found out there was an internal candidate for the Head of Art position that was interviewed on a second day...
    I got a phone call the next day to tell me I have got the Teacher of Art position as the Head of Art was taken by the internal candidate. I was disappointed and I felt a little tricked, so I declined their offer. On their feedback they said that the Head of Art was given to the other candidate as they demonstrated they had a good knowledge of the department and the school.....which I thought was unfair as nobody else could have competed with that.... Anyway, after all of that, they are refusing to pay me my travel expenses because I declined the job and this is what they said in the information pack: 'in the case where a candidate is offered the post but refuses the offer. This is to prevent candidates from attending interviews who may not be serious about their application and to limit lost opportunities for the department to invite other applicants.'

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I spent 300 euros only my travel expenses, and I feel really upset about the fact that they wrongly advertised and it was easy to protect themselves, and even implied I wasn't serious about my application.....if they made things clearer, maybe nobody would have gone through so much trouble and things would have been clear.....

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. But regarding the expenses, I've interpreted it that they were warning you in the information pack that if you were offered and refused you'd get no payment. You were offered a post with feedback and declined. It could be interpreted by a HT that you were not that serious about the post. However, if they were not transparent about what they wanted, then you might have had a lucky escape. Good luck with your next application.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I am sorry to hear of what happened to you, especially as it turned out so costly, but I think most of us have been served a slice of this quiche at some time in our teaching careers. I remember going for an interview for what, going by the advertisement, was a general science teaching job. When we were being shown around, we were introduced to the retiring teacher one of us would be replacing, who, it turned out, taught the A level physics group. When all three of us told the HoD that none of us could teach A level physics, he went to see the Head, who then cancelled the interviews. The HoD apologised to us if the advert 'had not been entirely clear'. :mad:

gabriela.boiangiu likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How very disappointing for you. Doubly disappointing in fact, with the loss of the possible post of Head of Art, and the loss of the money.

But I'm afraid that I don't agree that the post was wrongly advertised.

And I also think that their conditions for paying expenses were made clear:

It was in fact not uncommon in the past for posts in the UK to have had this condition about interviews, that if you withdrew during the interview process, or declined the offer, expenses might not have been paid. This sentence is in the past tenses because nowadays it is not all that unusual for expenses not to be paid at all for candidates to attend an interview, and they are rarely paid for someone to come from abroad.

But it was set out in the information pack for you.

They offered the post, you declined it, therefore you were not eligible for expenses.

Sad for you, but it was part of the deal and stated in the pack that you had received.

It seems to me that you were offered the post that they advertised - Teacher of Art - and you turned it down. The Head of Art was only a possibility, not a commitment. The fact that they mentioned leading the team in the details is obviously referring to the Head of Art role, which they have said is only a possibility.

You cannot have believed that someone not made Head of Art would be leading the team . . .

So I am sorry for your disappointment, but I am afraid that the school has not acted improperly.

The only way that it could be said that you may perhaps have been treated less than fairly would be if you had stated clearly in your application what your application was for. Something along these lines: I am applying only for the position of Head of Art and would not be interested in the position of Teacher of Art.

If you had done that, then they would not have offered you the post, and you would have had your expenses paid.

As for your question at the top, Yes, a candidate has the right to decline an offer based on personal reasons, or indeed based on any number of reasons. But that doesn't give the candidate the right to have their expenses paid when the documentation says that if they refuse the offer expenses will not be covered.

So all you can do now is look at your application and check whether you stated clearly that you did not wish to be considered for the role of Teacher of Art. If you did say this, then they were wrong to offer you the job that you had said that you didn't want, and therefore the expenses should be paid.

Best wishes

5. gabriela.boiangiu

Thank you all for your replies. I know the expenses in the UK are not often paid for. I am upset not only for the financial implications but also for the inconsistent manner in which the school has continued to act, including the late notice for travel plans, including the fact that now they are re-advertising for Teacher of Art with the same sentence in the job description: 'The successful applicant will be a passionate and talented classroom practitioner who will lead a small team'.....
    The recruitment process involves two parts. The choice should be mutual and based on respect. With the turn over being so quick, I believe I got absolutely nothing out of this, except a bad experience....

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Regarding the quick turn over - if a candidate declines, a school has to re-advertise ASAP, especially if it is for a cover post.

Take Theo's advice - look at your application and whether you specifically stated you did not want to be Teacher of Art. If you did, you were offered the wrong post, and pursue expenses. If not, best to leave it.

7. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Gabriela - sorry you have felt let down, but I agree with other posters.

I wanted to add - at the beginning of your second paragraph you stated it was a maternity cover and you wanted to be closer to your boyfriend who's near there. So - you were aware it was temporary, for 6 months. If your motivation was to be closer to him and you could even consider the opportunity to afford to travel and teach in France, then I say "lucky you". You should have taken the teacher job in my humble opinion.

GLsghost and CWadd like this.
  8. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I would have read "leading a small team" to mean support staff?

9. gabriela.boiangiu

Good to hear everyone's opinions. I have spoken to a few professionals already and this has enabled me to have a broader picture. I would really appreciate it if you consider this as a sharing thread, as I am not following this thread any further. I am fast moving on from problems and obstacles and I know what I am doing with my career. Thank you for your thoughts. Kind regards, G

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I would agree, that knowing it was a maternity cover post and likely, therefore to be temporary, that it may have been better to accept the post and use the time in post to look for something more permanent, particularly as it would bring you closer to your boyfriend, which is your main reason for going to France.

CWadd likes this.
  11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What does this mean?

Best wishes

12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I suspect what it means is the OP doesn't like some of the responses.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh.

I thought it just meant that she was discourteous and stroppy.

Best wishes

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Perhaps the school had the lucky break this time?

Middlemarch likes this.