1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Title Question?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by qasamwahid, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Hello,
    I am planning to work abroad in Saudi Arabia from August. I am negotiating the contract and want to get all the specifics right. The main question I have right now is that in the interview I was told I would be teaching Science and Maths but on the contract I am down as a homeroom teacher. I am happy with the salary etc but just thought I would get some clarification on the Job title. Is there any significance to being a homeroom teacher vs a more specific subject based title? The school is a licensed PYP provider.

Thanks in advance,
    Qasam

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

In PYP, generally homeroom teachers teach all the science and maths, in addition to language and social studies and PSPE and maybe more.
    Very recently, the IB changed its rules on this. It used to be that the homeroom teacher HAD to teach all these subjects. Now, the IB allows for the possibility that they could be taught by separate teachers, with many requirements in the fine print.
    So it is likely that you will be a homeroom teacher teaching most subjects, and it is possible but less likely that you could be teaching only maths and sciences.
    Best to check with the school for clarification, if it really matters to you.