1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job title change - risky?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by forestgreen, Feb 29, 2016.

1. forestgreen

forestgreen New commenter

I am currently Deputy Head in all but name - my job title is Assistant Head and I have held this post for 11 years in a one form entry school. I have been offered the job title 'Acting Deputy Head', with the word 'Acting' being used to circumvent my non Catholic religious affiliation in a Catholic school.

Am I at risk of redundancy if a new Head arrives and wants a practicing Catholic as their Deputy?

I suspect the current Head is in the process of applying for promotion within a multi Academy Trust in another authority, so could find myself facing this situation in the very near future.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Tell them you will accept the upgrade as a temporary post, but wish to ensure you retain your permanent AHT post. Then it won't matter if a new HT wants a Catholic deputy as you'd revert to your substantive post.

3. forestgreen

forestgreen New commenter

That sounds like excellent advice, thank you.

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I may incur the wrath of other posters here but I would be tempted to say you have 'converted to Catholicism' -problem solved?!

*hides and awaits the haters saying one should not change ones religion for a job*

5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

It is not as easy as that; you would have to prove it!!

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I don't think any Catholic HT would say they want a Catholic DH. In many Catholic schools the only Catholic is the HT, my old primary school is now like this. My children's primary had a non Catholic DH.
    Middlemarch's advice is as usual excellent.

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

I concur with middlemarch. As long as you state that you will step up to Acting Deputy Headteacher for the interim period on the basis that if a new colleague is employed as a permanent DHT, you can revert back to your role as AHT. Get this in writing AND signed by your CoG. Getting it signed solely by your current Headteacher will make it 'redundant' and worthless because if they get their promotion and leave, you'll have no leg to stand on.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

But the governors probably do, and DHT is a governors' appointment (in LA schools anyway)

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If the contract does not state that the job is temporary, perhaps by making it fixed term, does that meran that it is really permanent, depite the job title? Just a thought.

I don't think that this is true. If the person signing the letter has authority to do so, then it makes no difference if they leave. Otherwise, anybody could be fired if the person who signed their contract leaves. In any case, it is just as likely that the CoG wil leave as the Head. Am I right, @GLsghost ? You have the legal training; I just rely on common sense, which doesn't always work!

Rott Weiler likes this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm sure you are right @Piranha, if the HT is authorised to write the letter, and writes it in their official capacity as HT, it's irrelevant to the contractual position if the HT later leaves. I'd recommend getting it from the governors for another reason though, that if this is an LA school DHT appointments (Acting or otherwise) are governors' appointments and cannot be delegated to the HT (per School Staffing Regulations 2009). If not an LA school the Academy Trust will be the employer so your position is stronger having the letter from them than only the headteacher.

11. alexdoncaster

alexdoncaster New commenter

I find it shocking that religion even comes into the question in an organisation that draws on public funds.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think it is insupportable that folk can't just be rewarded / promoted because they are simply very effective in their role.

13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

This should be a positive life and career enhancing move. What a shame that it's a cause of worry and uncertainty.