1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job starting in September, on benefit will it cease now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tr216, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Hi, I am currently on Job Seekers Allowance (dole) and have a job for September, just waiting for the contract. Does anyone know what happens about my benefit? I won't mention it until I have signed all the papers, but it is extremely unlikely to fall through. Will the Job Centre stop my benefit now although I will have no money coming in until after September?

What should I do? By it;s name 'Job Seekers Allowance' is benefit whilst looking for a job, what happens if you find a job but it doesn't start for a couple of months? I thought someone on here might have been in a similar situation. Please help, very stressed about this as I have read that if I don't tell them about a 'change in circumstances' which includes 'getting a job' I can be done for benefit fraud. Please help!

2. Let the jobcentre staff know you have a job starting in September. Depending on how long you've been on benefits, you may be eligible for back to work grants.
    Over the summer, in order to claim JSA you must remain available for and actively seeking employment, although you can restrict your job search to temporary positions since you have secured a job for september.

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

You are still entitled to claim benefits. Good for you that you have secured a post for September but you still sign on until the end of August/early Sept. If you have been unemployed for the last 26 weeks you would be entitled to a 4 week run-on with benefit/council tax.
    You still sign that you are actively seeking work (daft) as you could come up with a job for the next few weeks, you have not received any income therefore your claim still stands.
    You haven't broken the law by getting a job offer.