1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job starting in April ... any advice please??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kh133, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am starting a new job soon in a mixed year 3/4 class. If anybody could offer any advice or your pearls of wisdom they would be greatly appreciated!!
    I have only taught years 3 and 4 (not mixed) whilst on supply so feel a bit lost with planning ideas etc, as I have only taught a few days in these years.
    Thank you

2. lejanderson

lejanderson New commenter

Hi,
    Congratulations on your new job! I have been teaching a mixed Y3/4 class for the past two years. The advice I would give you is to look at the spread and range of levels in the class and teach to that. I have Year 3s that are at the same level as Year 4s and vice versa. Does the school have some form of targets or APP you could look at? This might help guide your teaching and learning objectives.
    I know that, in my school, the curriculum is managed on a 2 year or 4 year cycle (subject dependent). If this school has something similar in place, ask if you could look at it and see what the children have covered/still need to cover. Is there another Y3/4 class in the school? Perhaps ask the teacher of that class if they could give you some advice. If not, talk to KS2 co-ordinator or another member of SLT. Either way, your priority, in my opinion, is to find out how the school organises their curriculum. Given that they have mixed classes, they should have something in place to ensure that Year 4 pupils aren't being taught the same thing as they were taught in Year 3. This should give you some clue as to what the children still need to cover.
    I hope this answers your question! If not, reply and I'll try and help if I can. Good luck!

3. I am leaving my Year 3/4 class this Friday after nearly 2 years there. It is a fantastic year (says the one dreading the move to Year 1) and you will enjoy it so don't panic. Where I teach we set in LKS2 so it was easier in maths/lit so I had to really concentrate on making sure the work was appropriate for the afternoons. First: find out levels so you can plan your pitch. Second: talk to the old 3/4 teacher if possible, if not speak to the TA they will be the fountains of knowledge. I crave to talk to the person taking over from me so I can give pointers and important information. Third: Find out topics. My school works under a creative curriculum so you need to check what they have covered and what is coming up or the kids will shoot you down and inform you that they have already done it. Any further questions feel free to ask. It is a lovely year though, I am jealous! x

4. Thank you both for the advice :) shall definitely take it on board! x