1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job situation :(

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by buttons44, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    The end of summer term is fast approaching for schools, and I was wondering what happens with the job situation when schools close. I have recently completed my English PGCE and I haven't managaed to secure a job. Can you get a job without having to teach a lesson? I'm confused!
    Thanks in advance.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No.There will be exceptions but if the jobs haven't been advertised by now then they won't be. People resigned at the end of May so they've had a month to get sorted. Sorry but you'll have to join the rest of us on supply/working part time/looking outside teaching/applying for TA or CS work....
    A few jobs may come up in October but its not usually many. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news x

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes you can, though it is getting less usual these days.

There will be the odd post advertised over the summer but very,very few. You may be lucky and get one of those, you may not.

There will also be posts advertised from September onwards. Some will be to start in January and some to start 'as soon as possible'. The competition for these is less than the September start posts, but still fierce and you will need an excellent application.

As the previous poster said, doing supply while you job hunt is the best thing you can do. Start getting yourself registered now as it can take a while for CRB checks to come through and you need to be ready to go to School as soon as term starts in September.

4. I'd recommend you to get onto a supply agency ASAP. If you get into the loop now you start building your reputation with schools and agencies. It's also a good idea to do supply for a while anyway it is very good experience in different schools. Supply is very lean at the moment, as are jobs, but get a good rep and some time in the classroom racked up.

5. Yes, I am definitely going to do that. Thanks very much.

6. Hi Buttons
    Can I just ask why you ask if there are any jobs that do not require you to teach at interview? Is this something you feel is keeping you back?
    Good luck with the job hunt, it's a hard slog but worth it in the end when you get that phonecall.
    Vuitton x

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

^ Because once the schools break up, there won't be any children to teach a lesson to. So the question is, will schools still be hiring when they can't see you in action?

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Any remaining appointments will happen over the next 2 weeks-there are always unplanned vacancies for illness and maternity cover in particular. You should get registered with any agencies this term as some close the books in September if they begin to get swamped. As far as interviews are concerned schools vary with their selection procedures most ask for an interview lesson but some do not and base their decision upon references, application and interview. A lot depends upon the timescale they are working upon.

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I wouldn't recommend this.
    If you take just a half-day supply now, you start the 16 month clock ticking and if you can't complete induction then exactly 16 months from that half day, you'll not be able to do any more supply until you either get the 1 year extension or you do complete induction.
    I'd suggest you don't register with agencies until the schools break up that gives them ample time to get your CRB sorted (with the electronic applications, the majority come through in days, not the months they used to take) and you'll be ready to take supply in September.

10. I see! Thanks Kartoshka!