1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job share, won't share!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by good_karma1, Mar 22, 2012.

1. What do you do if your job share will not plan, assess, manage any aspect of the classroom, frequently ask the HLTA to teach because they don't know what the children have been doing or and avoid teaching/planning phonics despite having had training and the children are to be screened in June? It is not easy to do it all on a part-time salary and unfair to 'cram' the children on my teaching days to ensure they have covered everything....Aaaargh!

2. What do you do if your job share will not plan, assess, manage any aspect of the classroom, frequently ask the HLTA to teach because they don't know what the children have been doing or and avoid teaching/planning phonics despite having had training and the children are to be screened in June? It is not easy to do it all on a part-time salary and unfair to 'cram' the children on my teaching days to ensure they have covered everything....Aaaargh!

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Go to your line manager with the problem. You are not there to make good your "colleague's" shortcomings.

4. Thank you and yes I would do that apart from one thing...... My Job Share is my HT!!!

5. oh dear! I think I would be looking for another job.

6. I am. However, I have had such a positive impact on the school and the parents and now growing number of pupils are fantastic. If it were a 'regular' teacher , capability proceedings would have been put in pace long ago I should think. It seems strange that such teaching arrangements do not appear to be regulated. The staff all said after our Ofsted that we were so lucky it fell on my teaching days!!!! I guess it all boils down to 'responsibilty with no recognition' for me and 'delegation with total abdication' for the HT - because they can!

7. yes that's about the size of it!

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Have you ever asked, "When can we block out some time to discuss the planning, assessment etc division of labour"? If so, what was the response? If not, what do you think the response would be?

9. I have been as supportive as I can to this person whgo is quite highly strung and prone to mood swings.I have suggested joint planning sessions etc several times and have been told that
    a) they do not have the time
    b) if you don't like it look for another job
    c) just tell me what you want me to teach
    d) Don't start!
    I have prepared planning for this person to ensure the curriculum is covered to meet the children's needs, however when it is not taught I am back to square one with trying to cram it all in. I am at a loss how to resolve the situation ( other than leave) as this person is getting a teaching Head's salary and detests the teaching element but not the pay. :/

10. Teach your half -not the full lot! It is their responsibility (more so as a HT!) to teach the children their share.
    I'm so glad that my job share and I get along so well. Every week we meet up after school for a quick overview of what we've covered (or not) in the past week and what we'll do in the next. We each take responsibility for a key area (she for phonics/reading and me for maths) and then split the rest as we wish.
    What is she like for report writing/parent interviews? Would she expect you to do all that too?

11. Thank you for your reply. I get slated for not supporting her and the environment becomes toxic. I do all report writing and at parent interviews. The HT says to the parents that I'll do all the talking and she will take notes.
    I have had brilliant jobshares before and know how good they can be. I just wonder if I am the only one to experience this with a teaching Head? If I didn't care so much about the children, I could be teaching knitting everday and she wouldn't know/care! However, if the results weren't good I know who would get the blame. The results are good and she basks in the glory. Clever!

12. becky70

becky70 New commenter

I sympathise but as your jobshare partner is your head there's nothing you can do without really rocking the boat.
    You've really no option except to look for another job, sad though that is. Good luck, hopefully this time next year you will be in a much better situation.