1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job share? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by saf_nqt, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi guys,
    I ofically start my maternity leave next week. I have asked my headteacher to go back part time (3 days) after one years maternity leave.
    She isn't able to say if she can let me do part time as there are a number of teachers at my school who are pregnant. If she gave me 3 days i think i would be covering ppa. But i don't want to cover years 5 and 6.
    I was thinking of job share. What do people think? Is anyone job sharing at the moment? Initially i didn't want to because you still have the same stress (planning, marking, parents eveving, maintaining a classroom etc). But i guess i will have to make a compromise somewhere if my head does even give me part time.

2. I don't know this - but I think she might be obliged to give you part time if it's not detrimental to you job to do so. Would it be worth making some casual enquiries in the staff room if several other members of staff are pregnant and seeing if any of them are thinking about going part time? Then you could possible jobshare with them?

3. Yes they do want to come back. But i wouldn't want to job share with either of them!!!

Does a headteacher only have to consider part time or does she have to give vaild reasons why she can't offer it?
    Do you think getting the union invloved is worth it or rocking the boat?

4. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

You have the right to apply to your employer to return part time after maternity leave and, in consultation with your HT, they have to give it reasonable consideration.
    Of course, they don't have to find you a part time post in the school in which you are currently teaching, although they will normally try to accommodate you. That may mean working with staff you do not know, or with whom you do not necessarily see eye-to-eye.
    Also remember, you may be given a job-share with someone with whom you get on really well and then they can leave or be replaced with someone else.
    In addition, doing a job-share you can end up working longer than the fte post, not least because of the need to liaise, and it can seem like you're doing almost a full time job for part time pay.
    And, of course, they will not normally allow you to automatically return to a full time contract in the future when you may be looking for extra hours and you could find yourself having to apply for jobs in a very competitive market.
    I hope this helps.

5. So many pregnant teachers, dear. Its no wonder the country is bankrupt. More male teachers, I say, dears.

6. Hi there,

I do job share and have done for the past five years, it's great. It's much easier than full time and yes you do have planning and marking etc but its halved as your partner will do half. We are responsible for different areas of the curriculum so that takes away any stress regarding work being finished in your half of the week. I can't envisage ever going back full time.