1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job share partner - not doing much on her days

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by PinkPencils, Nov 23, 2017.

1. PinkPencils

PinkPencils New commenter

Hiya,
    I job share with another teacher - both 0.6 with a crossover day. I end up doing 95% of the displays / admin / organising etc - if I ask her to do anything I end up waiting weeks until it’s done, or do it myself because it needs to be done by a certain time and she hasn’t done it. On her days in class she does barely any work with the children, doesn’t really teach and doesn’t give the TA enough to do. I’ve spoken to the head of my department and I’ve been told to basically babysit her and that it might take a while for her to do more teaching. I was just wondering what I can do?! It’s my word against hers really and if she gets asked about it she comes up with loads of excuses that the head of department believes because that’s easier to do than actually doing something about it. What should I do next?! It’s making me hate teaching! Thanks!

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

This is a situation that your head of department is responsible for looking at and working out what the next steps should be. You have a job teaching the children. It's not your job to babysit a colleague. Do the displays/admin/organising that help you to teach but don't do things for her that she is capable of doing for herself. She has shown that either she doesn't think they need doing or that she realises that you'll do them anyway if she waits long enough. The HoD should be aware if your colleague is not doing enough teaching and it's up to the HoD to put measures in place to address the problem. You have brought the matter to the HoD's notice so now let them deal with it as they see fit. Meanwhile, do only what is necessary to make sure the children make good progress on the days that you teach them.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

If it may take her a while, is there something you are unaware of? Not an excuse, just a thought.

If you are concerned about progress as a result of her poor teaching, could you initial the days you have taught in books or ge children to so that it is evident what you are doing.
    You could also ensure that things that occur in your days are organised and leave her to sort stuff that will happen on hers? That is unless she wouldn't be aware of them in time to do this.

I am a job share and know how vital it is to work together. I would hate to have to work in the manner I have suggested above but you may need to do so for a while. I really hope things improve for you. Job share should be a delight, not torture.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The other problem is if your performance management targets will be affected by her work.

How do you split the teaching? Do you take different topics, or follow a joint plan? Splitting topics would be a way of forcing her into a bit more responsibility, and freeing you not to worry about what she's covering. If you taught two completely different classes, her teaching would be the HoD's problem not yours, and splitting the topics might have a similar effect.

5. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

If the HOD ain't stepping in when she should, step above her.
    Never feel you can't.