1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job share organisation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clear_air, Mar 30, 2012.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Hi all, a quick query. I'm going down to 3 days a week next term (thank goodness) - what I wanted to know, is how do people spilt the English curriculum? Maths we can do with the blocks, but I wanted to know how people did it with lit?

Thanks in advance.

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Year group?

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

4/5/6 (silent argh)

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

*waves to clear_air [​IMG]*
    When I have done job shares we have divided the framework units between us. One would generally (but not exclusively) focus on non-fiction and the other the fiction units. Adjustments would have to be made to allow for fair division of labour. This was in a school where each subject was taught discreetly.
    Of course, if you are topic based then this isn't so easy to do.

5. Cupsy

Cupsy New commenter

I've worked as a job share in both a year 3 and 4 class. We found that splitting the literacy and numeracy into 3 day and 2 day blocks just didn't work with the children in the class as they became confused, they needed a full week on a particular area to consolidate the learning. Of course, your class may well be different.
    What worked best for us was for one of us to plan a whole week of literacy and the other would plan the numeracy, then we would change this the week after. We would always meet or speak on the phone on a Wednesday to discuss how things were going. Speak with your job share partner.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

*waves to Marlin* thanks for the ideas - I'm teaching topic based (or at least I think it's supposed to be!) - I'll have a chat with my sharer and see what he wants to do. I take the point about a whole week of learning. I shall mull it over, and not make any decisions just yet!!

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Another way to do it is for one to plan all the lit for half a term and the other to plan all the maths.
    It comes down to what works best for the two of you really - try stuff and don't be afraid to change if it doesn't work.
    Have fun!

8. I've job shared for several years now (KS1) and it worked well. Splitting the units didn't work - one of us did Literacy, the other Numeracy. We swapped every year or so.
    Foundation subjects were 'given' to one or the other of us (not topic based so easier) and we taught during our days.
    It ONLY worked as each of us was very good at telling the other what had gone on but there were drawbacks (really knowing / assessing the cdhildren). Also I found it tricky sometimes to teach from someone else's plans (but that's probably just me). I also found I had to product copious amounts of planning so she would know what to do (whereas for myself a few lines would do).
    Pros and cons. It worked for me at the time but I'm now going back full time as I feel the need to ave more control (and also personal home reasons).
    Only works if you get on BTW!!

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

bneen sharing 4/1 and this year 3/2.
    as a year we take turn to plan the lit (and topic, science etc etc) so we are able to just teach the year group plan with adjustments for our class.
    As you say Maths splits readily, i have focussed on number, whil my colleague picks up shape and data.
    In my school we have several of us sharers, i am the only one thinking of upping my days, and i am having second thoughts!

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I have been working 4 days this week - 1 day covering a colleague for her PPA, and I'm very glad tobe stepping it down to 3 days. 4 days may as well be full time, I was finding, and it will be lovely to give a bit more to my own children, as opposed to other people's tbh!
    I just need to find a way to make the curriculum work - it's a very individual situation, so I don't want to put too much on here for fear of identifying the school -- so the more people can say about how they managed it, the better, thank you all.