1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job share and PPA time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by layfield08, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am currently working in a school nursery my job share works all day Mon, all day Tues and WED morning. I work the Wed afternoon and all day Thurs and Fri. At present we have our PPA time separately, but we would like to have our PPA time together. Does anyone have any suggestions of how we could share our PPA time?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Hi
    I am currently working in a school nursery my job share works all day Mon, all day Tues and WED morning. I work the Wed afternoon and all day Thurs and Fri. At present we have our PPA time separately, but we would like to have our PPA time together. Does anyone have any suggestions of how we could share our PPA time?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Assuming that morning and afternoon sessions are the same length, you are both entitled to half a morning or afternoon PPA each week, meaning that the school needs to cover a whole morning or aftrnoon in total. If one of you did mid-morning to mid afternoon on a Wednesday and the other (say) the afternoon, you could both do the right number of hours and share PPA time in the first half of the afternoon. The school would need to cover the first half of the morning and the first half of the afternoon, which is the right amount of time. Of course, one of you would need to be there on Wednesday lunchtime, but I can't see a better way.

4. Could you both have PPA on Wednesday afternoon or morning? One of you would have to become a 0.6, and the other would still be 0.5 but only have 2 contact days.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

But isn't the PPA time for a 0.5 contract only half a morning or afternoon session? If you did this, the school would still have to cover (say) Wednesday afternoon, but would end up paying for 1.1 timetable. Not a good deal from their point of view. Surely a job share should cost the same as a full-timer, not 10% more.

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

The problem with this type of arrangement (and I've been in exactly the same situation) is that 2 teachers in a job share do need time together to deal with planning, assessment, IEPs and the sheer practicalities of sharing a class.
    In our case I even offered to come into school for half an hour first thing one morning if my class partner could be excused assembly so we get together. The head said no.
    So we were stuck with overlapping on Wednesday lunchtime as our only time together.

7. At the end of the day ppa is difficult to schedule for part times. We have plenty at our school and none overlap with their partner. They tend to work on a 0.6 contract and cover each other for p p a on a wednesdayand do a little extra targetting work with other children across school with any extra time they have.

It would be impossible for all of them to have p p a at the same time and suggestins earlier of mid mornings to mid afternoons are very impractical for leadership to schedule as well as for the children.

There is likely to be no easy answer to your question about how you can have p p a together!

8. Right - not rocket science.
    You are a full time member of staff when put together so the school cover your class for half of a day in total. This gives each of you a 1/4 day of ppa.
    Solution - ppa is the second half of Wednesday am if Wednesday pm person who has started 1/4 lesson early will leave 1/4 lesson early on any day that suits the ppa cover person.
    School still provides 1/2 day cover - each teacher gets 1/4 days ppa.
    I cannot see where there is any difficulty at all.