1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job share advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AnnAngel, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hello,

I'm starting a job share in September and was wondering if anyone has some advice they could share? Just thinking about how we can make it work and would be interested in what others have done. I guess it would be best to split subjects (I'm doing 2 days) but I'm going to have to pick up the lit and num from the rest of the week and not sure about the best way to do this.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Hello,

I'm starting a job share in September and was wondering if anyone has some advice they could share? Just thinking about how we can make it work and would be interested in what others have done. I guess it would be best to split subjects (I'm doing 2 days) but I'm going to have to pick up the lit and num from the rest of the week and not sure about the best way to do this.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

3. I job share on a 2 days/3 days split. For Maths, we use the Framework blocks still and split the objectives between us. In literacy, I teach reading, spelling & grammar, my jobshare does all the text level work. We then teach our own subjects in the afternoons (Science or Topic, RE or PHSE, ICT or PE) I've done it for 2 years now and it has worked well for us.

4. TOWIB

TOWIB New commenter

When I did it (a few years ago now) we took it in turns to plan a week's literacy or numeracy so we were only ever planning literacy or numeracy weekly. It was a bit strange teaching from someone else's plan for a while, but nice to try things you might not have thought of yourself. You have to be similar in approach though. It did mean continuity in the week's plans. It might be a case of try a few ways and see what works for you both. It's great when it works well, good luck.

5. Thanks for sharing. I think this might work for us. I was worried about the literacy not following on but I think it will be good to focus on spelling etc like you said.

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Main advice is to commumicate with your partner!
    It's so much easier if you can manage some time in school together - to talk, plan, organise etc. I found it was the stuff like displays, assemblies, IEPs, assessments etc that really needed face to face contact.
    However, I know it's not always possible so make sure you leave notes, email, text whatever. I used to do an end of week email for my partner on a Friday night, which helped me to remember everything before the weekend took over!

Good luck!

7. sometimes it can be the silliest of things that cause issues, I did a job share a few years ago and dound that my partners idea of seating arrangement s and mine were totally different. I hate children sitting with their backs to the baord / me while my partner was happy with this. she liked a very busy classroom in terms of display - i prefer minimalist - high quality but minimalist, i find it very difficult to work in what i find a cluttered environment - it took a lot and i mean a lot of compromises.
    On the plus side we had very similar ways of dealing with discipline and we kept a book on the dest at all times and recorded anything of note - messages from home - excellent work from a particluar chd - poor behaviour from another one - anything that might make the job easier for our children and our partner.
    A few thoughts that might help