1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job seeking first time since nqt year

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Mariecapper, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mariecapper

Mariecapper New commenter

Hello. I've been at my school four years now and want to move house to be closer to my family. It's commutable (about 45 mins) but with rising petrol costs as the fact I hate the area I currently live in I want to work close to where I will live. I have always taught upper ks2 and have a foundation subject leader role. Have never looked elsewhere and wonder how other people find jobs before the may 31st cut off for September. I cannot afford to hand in my notice without something to go to, but equally know that I need to hand in my notice to have access to all the jobs. How do teachers already employed get round this? I live in Essex so not sure how fluid the market is. Also feel its time for me to leave and spread my wings into a different phase and don't think I'll have the chance where I am. Added fuel to look. Not sure how to broach it with slt, do slt frown upon it if you look round somewhere else or apply for other jobs and don't get then then therefore have to end up staying? I've worked in the private sector before this so I find the restrictions in notice etc a little hard to get my head round. Any advice would be happily received! M x

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First the good news is that we're just about into prime job-hunting season.
    You need to keep an eye out for potential jobs in your chosen area. You can set up a job alert on this site which will automatically flag up potential jobs. * * * * How to set up a Job Alert * * * *
    Bad news is job competition is very stiff and fewer jobs seem to be advertised over the past 12 months- but who knows, someons is going to be lucky and it just may be you.
    When you start applying look at all the various clickable threads within this Welcome - Jobseeking FAQs - Apply and get shortlisted - Interview...

3. Mariecapper

Mariecapper New commenter

Well I'm prepared to take the gamble as I am really unhappy for personal reasons in the town I'm in. I know I'd put my current head s a reference but who do you put as the second as this is the only school I have been employed in-the school I trained in the head no longer works there and I think he retired abroad.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

There is no problem with having both references from the same school- in fact it's quite usual as these will be more familiar with your current work.
    I've just been told to use a Head and Deputy Head., but it could be HoY or HoD.