1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Seekers rant

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon2047, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am having a bit of a rant, apologies!
    I have just qualified for secondary and am a mature student. no supply agencies will take me on and I am married with children. I bit the bullet and applied for jobseekers and explained everything on the telephone. I turned up today and it was awful, they took one look at me and said I didn't qualify because I haven't worked full time in the last 4 years (student). Why couldn't they tell me that on the telephone?
    I have always worked until I retrained, I have never claimed anything and I feel really bad as I do not have a job and this is just another kick in the teeth for me. I feel as though I am not even good enough to be unemployed :(.
    Sorry for the rant...
    Jaime

2. Hi,
    I am having a bit of a rant, apologies!
    I have just qualified for secondary and am a mature student. no supply agencies will take me on and I am married with children. I bit the bullet and applied for jobseekers and explained everything on the telephone. I turned up today and it was awful, they took one look at me and said I didn't qualify because I haven't worked full time in the last 4 years (student). Why couldn't they tell me that on the telephone?
    I have always worked until I retrained, I have never claimed anything and I feel really bad as I do not have a job and this is just another kick in the teeth for me. I feel as though I am not even good enough to be unemployed :(.
    Sorry for the rant...
    Jaime

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Yep your OH is meant to support you [​IMG]. We went from a joint income of over £40k to now having a single income of less than £20k and it SUCKS.
    Why no luck with supply? (not that there is much supply work either though)
    There are a few relevant jobs floating around, I even saw one on the JC website today which is rare. Sorry I can't offer you much comfort. Anything you could do self employed whilst you look? x

4. I'm in the same unfortunate position. I'm 23 with no kids and my boyfriend is supporting me (he works full time... although he's only on 16k). Very frustrating. I feel like a total burden. We don't qualify for working tax credits either as you have to be 25!
    I've just got a job in retail...
    Could you approach schools directly and offer yourself as a supply or even try and get some more work experience? Good luck!

5. Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply! The supply agencies keep fobbing me off, I applied (emailed and said please put me forward) for 3 long term positions not in my area - willing to travel, no response from 2 agencies, another said the school wasn't replying and cancelled my registration interview and said I needed to be nearer to home! I had sent them everything whilst on holiday, and the 'local' agent will not repsond to my calls. Another agency just said, no jobs in your area no point registering you!
    Awful, I feel awful!
    I feel as though I will have to retrain, but now I can't afford to do anything else, i love teaching sooo much and am gutted.
    I hope things work out for you x

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Have you looked at Uni jobs? Jobs in museums? After school clubs? What area are you in? x

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What subject(s) do you teach, Jaime?

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You can't get JSA Contributory if you didn't pay enough NI in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010.
    You can't get JSA Income BAsed (Means tested) if you have a partner who works over 24 hours per week and/or you have savings over £16K . With not worker int he household and savings above £3k, they will pay partial JSA.
    Even if you don't qualify for the either type of JSA, you can still sign on to be registered as unemployed and to get a free NI credit each week.
    If the household income from a working partner is low, you may qualify for Working Tax Credits and/or Housing benefit and Council TAx Relief from the Council. If you rent you might get help with the rent.
    As you have no recent NIO record, it would be worth you taking any job thta allowed you to pay NI to build up entitlement to some benefits in future yearsr years.. Pay enough NI in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 tax years and you may be entitled to Benefits in 2012 and 2014 calendar years. JSA Contrubutory is only £67-45 per week, however.

9. Hi,
    Thanks for all the replies. My subject is ICT and I am in the Yorkshire area. My QTS certificate came today welcoming me to the teaching profession, but I'm not a teacher.
    I am just really upset.
    Thanks

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Have you applied for many jobs and how many interviews have you had?
    If it would help for me to look at your application statement, I'd be pleased to do so - send me a PM and I'll let you have an email address.