1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job security

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by northernhead, Aug 30, 2019.

1. northernhead

northernhead New commenter

Anyone else had to fight to keep their job this week because of a dip in their results? I have had to sit down and literally convince my CEO that I can improve results. I was offered a way out if I wanted it. Professional suicide in other words.
    Seems the writing is on the wall but what can I do? This really is a terrible time to be a Head. I have a job still but will spend the year worrying that I could go on a whim.

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I am very sorry to hear this.

Well...yes...I tried to fight for my job...but lost... Yes.. professional suicide it was...and is...

I hope you can find a successful way forward.
    Very, very best of luck for the coming year.

northernhead likes this.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

In my 22 years as Headteacher (primary), I’ve only had to fight for my job once. It was back in 2003 when KS2 SATs were at their lowest in years- it didn’t help that at the time, I had an NQT in Year 6 along with a supply teacher who was covering a long term sick leave- changes were made- and since then, I have never placed a teacher in their NQT year in Year 6.

4. install

install Star commenter

Is it time to look for pastures new while you can and if you have a nasty CEO on your case? They don't sound supportive of you.

5. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

I have been a CoG in various schools for nearly 30 years, never had to do this but have had to remove a Head for other issues relating to drinking on the job. As long as you have kept your Governors and line managers abreast of the potential results then there is nothing more that you can do because you will have already taken all of the other actions before their exams.

Back in the late 1990s we had an Ofsted which was generated on the back of a dip in results but I was able to explain why to what was then the RgI, how we had tracked pupils and how it was noted in our GB minutes.

Any sensible manager will listen to the reasons behind a dip rather than jumping to conclusions. I can only say how sorry I am that you art receiving more support when you need it.

6. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Low results? Poor OFSTED outcome? Parental complaint? I think it's all pretty standard behaviour for HTs to be offered the door in some MATs these days....

digoryvenn likes this.
  7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

...not just in MATs. ...LA primaries too!