1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Security

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cillia, May 29, 2018.

1. cillia

cillia New commenter

I posted this a few days ago... a little more wordy but same theme (can't find it).

Interviewed an took a job through recruitment Agency - was billed as Full Time. School said well take you as agency at first to trial you out.

After discussions over previous weeks and consultations with my agency about ‘Job Security’, from what was said in meetings, my expectation was that I would be seeing a contract of employment before the school broke up, so I could acrrue some holiday during semester break. However (despite many requests) nothing has been resolved about this one way or the other as to why, my agency and I don't know.
    There is expectation that I produce a presentation for delivery Monday 9:00am on return - also that I develop and create some areas of the curriculum over the holiday period to implement on week of return. I am unpaid during the school term holiday and must seek alternative employment to try cover loss of pay.

the job (although not without issues) is my kind of thing so I'd like it but I won't just be exploited treated as FT teacher without paid holidays... I already spent a week or so marking work I never set or taught - is this OK? Any advice

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Is it this one?

3. cillia

cillia New commenter

yes thank you M;0)

4. cillia

cillia New commenter

I guess no one has anyviews on this it's probably so normal? the Gig economy

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Even if you got taken on, you still wouldn't be paid over this summer holidays, so you may have to decide whether you want to stay or whether to just move on.

I think you couldn't really let the school down as to the presentation, as presumably they've allocated time for that.
    However as you're only supply with no contract, perhaps you need to say unless you're allocated time in school, when you are paid, or are paid extra, you might not be able to do the curriculum development.

pepper5, agathamorse and gingerhobo48 like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

OK

A bit of guesswork and reading between the lines here but I suspect they are just stringing you along to get what they can out of you and probably you will not be offered a contract before the end of this academic year.

You must play hardball - you need to give them an ultimatum - a contract offer or I walk. You are giving them the best of both worlds right now.

It's possible they don't want to pay a finders fee for you.

I'm trying to be optimistic here but you must be proactive now if you want anything out of this.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Borrowed some quotes from your other thread as there was more detail there.

This would seem totally normal. The school is probably waiting until after 31st May in order to see what staff they have for September and what roles need filling.

It would be hugely unexpected for the school to start a contract at the start of a holiday time, they have budgets to balance and are already paying the agency several thousand to appoint you after using you as supply.

You should never have agreed to do this. They can ask you by all means, but you can also say no. It is probably too late now, but you should never have agreed to this.

The life of a long term supply teacher is not reasonable, never has been.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I agree with @peakster, that the school is stringing you along. All the classic signs are there: getting you to mark someone else's backlog of work, and produce resources for a new SoW, or whatever. Once you have done all this, it will be, "Thank you (possibly), and goodbye." Are you getting paid anything for this 'trial period'?

Long-term jobs beginning at some indeterminate time in the future have a habit of disappearing the day before you are due to start, just after the school has relieved you of all the free preparation work you have done..

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  9. cillia

cillia New commenter

Thank you for you comments.... I also think they are stringing me along. I have emailed them to say I am interviewing at another school on morning of the presentation and asking them to clarify my position. I am unpaid in the holiday and working in a shop during the break so won't be able to do curriculum development. I'm guessing this will just irritate the SLT and my LM making relations tense but I don't see what options other than leave and cut my nose to spite my face.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If the presentation and curriculum development are things you have previously agreed to, which from your first post they appear to be, this might not be the best way forward.

If you don't actually have an interview, it might well do more than irritate.

You might well find there is no contract offered.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. cillia

cillia New commenter

I fear your'e right, but i can't get motivated to do the presentation unpaid and on my own time. I just get annoyed I'm doing it. Given the fact I'm pushing them into a contract and the fact they're not going for it and calling my bluff, tells me they don't care about me enough. Commuting 2 hours+ per day and struggling with horribly behaved classes takes a lot of motivation and I may well just leave and return to supply til I can find something decent.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  12. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Well yes you mighT find there is no contract offered but would you really want to work here any way after this? Seems to me like you would be better off looking somewhere where you will feel valued.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That commute is too long.

Perhaps I wouldn't quite have done what you did though.

You have to remember the two rules of supply teaching.

Rule 1 : Keep working

Rule 2: Don't forget Rule 1

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Do you not spot the contradiciton in there?
    Look carefully.
    They want to trial you out for starters.
    They are thinking of your interest in holiday entitlement.

People don't do that. Not those two things together at the same time..
    If they trial you out they are thinking of their own entitlement, because if you are permanently employed, they are not entitled to chuck you out after two months if things are not working their way with what you are doing. But they can do that if they don't get what they ask from you. That's why they have taken you as supply.
    If they think about your holiday entitlement then they are obliged to pay you irrespective of knowing if they have or will get what they have asked from you.
    So they lied, and you fell for it.
    Don't touch this school with a barge pole.
    Go back to supply and breathe out, because the whole point of doing supply is that you can enjoy your own home without feeling annoyed abut mindless school related tasks tainting it. Exactly that, surely, was the initial impetus to you sitting down to write your quandary here, no?

As regards the agreement with this school-mess them the way they have messed you. Sort something else out for yourself, and wish them luck with their box-ticking irrelevant presentation
    They'll need it, and no single child in that place will be bothered in the slightest either way.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The illusion that the people running schools are mainly decent, honest, and ethically-minded still persists. Approach a school with more wariness than you would a second-hand car dealer. Some Heads try to pull stunts that would make car dealers blush.

agathamorse and cillia like this.
  16. cillia

cillia New commenter

This is a very astute assessment of things. Sadly I must agree.

17. cillia

cillia New commenter

True, although supply is not an 'easy ride' as some behaviour is so very bad.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. cillia

cillia New commenter

Have been offered a limited contract starting in September... I did their lecture for them. I feel like Iv'e been slapped in the face!

agathamorse likes this.