1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job security and pay

Discussion in 'Independent' started by noeline_kelly, Mar 20, 2020.

1. noeline_kelly

noeline_kelly New commenter

With us working in the private sector, are you worried about your job and the school maintaining your pay? ... what with the possibility of some parents querying school fees for next term.

2. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

I dont think we’re going to face redundancies (at least in the teaching staff, hopefully not in the support staff either), but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a temporary pay cut next term to take into account the fact we are not doing games or boarding duties etc. I’ve heard of one school already implementing this, and to be fair I don’t actually find it too unreasonable given the circumstances, but it would be nice to get some clarity! It does put the latest grand construction project (ongoing) into perspective though

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The government announcement yesterday should give some reassurance, with 85% covered up to £2500 per week.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

80% isn't it? Unless it changed overnight.

5. asnac

asnac Established commenter

and £2500 per month, not week!

jarndyce likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes, very concerned.
    Small school, precarious financial position anyway...

7. Rott Weiler

Fingers crossed for you. As you've posted elsewhere what parents do about paying next term's fees is critical. Sadly it will probably surprise no-one if some say 'I'm not paying for the Summer term unless you are going to be open to teach my child'.

8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Good to be corrected, thank you.

9. Boardingmaster

Ive heard of a few ex colleagues who have been made redundant, apparently too many parents unable or refusing to pay next term’s fees

10. caterpillartobutterfly

80% and £2500 per month. We had a letter today to tell us that our school group are doing this and massively dropping employer pension contributions until August. (We are already out of TPS)
    Not sure yet how long the furlough will last, different times for different staff apparently.

As of now, they are hoping this will be enough to prevent redundancies, but we'll see what happens.

Problem is that poorer schools tend to have poorer parents.

11. Boardingmaster

I’m very sorry to hear it ctb, and I hope all goes well for you and your school. Could I just ask how the school came to the decision? Was it a result of many parents pulling out already? Is the school therefore saying that no parents can continue to be taught by your school’s teachers next term as they have been furloughed or are a couple staying working to provide work for those who will continue to pay the fees?

also I saw this today on teacher tapp, might be worth passing on to any colleagues who are facing redundancy https://www.educationsupport.org.uk/helping-you/apply-grant

BM

12. caterpillartobutterfly

The decision was made by governors and affects all schools in the group.
    Apparently so, yes. They sent a letter a couple of weeks ago about summer term fees, but lots of parents are struggling to pay fees anyway. Most schools in the group have reasonably large nursery provision and so rely on the government funding for those places, which isn't forthcoming next term and the schools with boarding provision expect to get no boarding fees at all.
    We don't know this yet. We got the letter at the end of the working day yesterday and it took effect at midnight last night. The letter says some will come back to full employment at the end of the Easter holidays, some after May half term and some as soon as is practicable.
    What we also don't know is whether we still need to provide and feedback on work for the children of parents not paying fees once term starts again.
    We also don't know what will happen about all the Easter holiday provision that was in place and communicated to parents earlier in the day yesterday.
    To find out these things we will need to read work emails, which counts as working and so is not allowed!
    It's a mad, mad time.
    Thank you for this and your kindness, much appreciated.
    Pragmatically, we are hoping redundancies may be avoided and that we will still have a school to go back to properly in (probably) September.

13. Rott Weiler

Surely just reading an email can't be work? If it did no employer would would ever be able to take an employee out of furlough and return them to work/100% pay because the employee wouldn't be allowed to read the email/memo/letter telling them to return to work! Nor, until you opened the email, would you know it was about work. Sounds like some overzealous HR person's interpretation. And anyway there's no way HMRC could ever find out whether you had merely read an email.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Nooooo just my facetiousness. Sorry.

I don't generally open my work email account at home as I consider reading and acting on anything there as work. (This is what is accepted by school as entirely reasonable outside the hours of 8am to 6pm Mon-Fri for full time staff and what most people do.)
    However now, when we're not allowed to work, we have to log in to our work email account each day to see if there is any news about the furlough and when we'll come out or not.

Strikes me as nonsense, however the world is falling apart and so a small level of nonsense.

ajrowing, jarndyce and Rott Weiler like this.
  15. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

My school has already offered for parents of boarding pupils to pay the day pupils next term, given that the physical school might be closed for months.

Today senior management were making calls to staff to ask for at least person from each department to agree to be furloughed till the May half term. I received that call as I am part time and split between two departments. That makes it easier to split my classes between the remaining teachers.

Not an ideal situation, but better than immediately going for redundancies.
    I do not know yet if they will just be paying me the 80% they will get from the government or if they will make it up to full pay.
    If they only pay me 80%, will that allow me to do private online tutoring? Does anyone know if this will be allowed?

16. caterpillartobutterfly

Yes, but there isn't much call for it at the moment given there are no exams.
    Best of luck with whatever outcome happens for you.

We have offered parents 20% fee reduction for the summer term and the school are not topping up the furlough for the Easter holidays.
    We hope that any teachers (certainly ones in the union who met the other day) will have their salary topped up, at least to some degree if they remain on furlough after Easter.

17. CanLah

CanLah New commenter

Weve just been asked to take a 20% pay deferral until September but with no payback only a vague promise of Spring 2021 if we can afford it!!

18. caterpillartobutterfly

That's awful...
    Many people can't afford to live with a 20% pay cut.
    But if the school hasn't got the money to pay, then it hasn't the money to pay.

sabrinakat likes this.
  19. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I have since received an email explaining that my school will top up the payment by 20%, so I will still receive my full salary.

From reading other comments I do realise that I am in a very fortunate position.

Good luck to anyone else being furloughed.

20. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

I am sorry to hear that. I hope that the unions will do whatever they can to help you out with more concrete information, at least.