1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job search stress

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by purple sparkle, May 15, 2012.

1. purple sparkle

purple sparkle New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently searching for work as my contract is coming to an end at my current school with it being temporary. I have applied for over 25 jobs and out of those 25 I have been offered 3 interviews so far. One I couldn't attend as it was on the same day as another. I have not got any of those jobs nor got to the formal interview stage. I am moving onto M4 in September so was wondering if that was anything to do with my lack of interviews and luck? A senior member of staff has looked at my letter of application and helped me revamp it to make it better. I see student teachers finding jobs easily and then I am struggling. I am concerned as I have no job I wouldn't be able to cope financially. I rent a place on my own as my long term partner left me. There is no way I could move back home to live with the parents as there is no room anymore. My little sister hasn't left home and they live in a 2 bed property. There is physically no room for me. I have had a look and if I had to sign on, get council tax benefit and housing benefit. I'd get a maximum of £140 a week. Housing benefit will only be £54.40 instead of £91.50 a week as the government has changed it to shared rate only if you are under 35. Basically I'd be spending more then what is coming in unless I get regular supply work which is unlikely at present.
    I am getting more and more depressed and stressed over this. Any suggestions would be welcome a) to make me appear more employable for interviews and b) any way I could try to keep afloat if things do come to worse.....

2. purple sparkle

purple sparkle New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently searching for work as my contract is coming to an end at my current school with it being temporary. I have applied for over 25 jobs and out of those 25 I have been offered 3 interviews so far. One I couldn't attend as it was on the same day as another. I have not got any of those jobs nor got to the formal interview stage. I am moving onto M4 in September so was wondering if that was anything to do with my lack of interviews and luck? A senior member of staff has looked at my letter of application and helped me revamp it to make it better. I see student teachers finding jobs easily and then I am struggling. I am concerned as I have no job I wouldn't be able to cope financially. I rent a place on my own as my long term partner left me. There is no way I could move back home to live with the parents as there is no room anymore. My little sister hasn't left home and they live in a 2 bed property. There is physically no room for me. I have had a look and if I had to sign on, get council tax benefit and housing benefit. I'd get a maximum of £140 a week. Housing benefit will only be £54.40 instead of £91.50 a week as the government has changed it to shared rate only if you are under 35. Basically I'd be spending more then what is coming in unless I get regular supply work which is unlikely at present.
    I am getting more and more depressed and stressed over this. Any suggestions would be welcome a) to make me appear more employable for interviews and b) any way I could try to keep afloat if things do come to worse.....

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Unfortunately the M4 issue may be influential, but you're still cheaper than many of us, so keep up your hopes that some school will have the finances to pay for that experience.
    Re, your housing issue, are there any caravan sites around? These may be cheaper than 'house rents'. Son's friend lived in one of those 'fold up' caravans for a year ,after he left Uni and couldn't find a job. A good caravan site will let you hook up to an electricity point, so you're not completely without some of the 'comforts'.
    Alternatively a 'house-share', although not ideal, could be a possiblity.Local paper might advertise.
    You'll learn to look for the 'damaged' items and soon to be out-of-date shelves in supermarkets and if you're not working your local market can be a good source of cheaper goods. £1 shops and the like have useful items-you'd be surprised if you've never been in one and Charity shops too.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it is very hard and very depressing to be job hunting nowadays.
    But you will find that people on this forum are really friendly and supportive. My
    main advice to you is that you should read and follow all the advice in the Welcome thread. If you look at the threads 'I've got an interview!' or 'I got that job!!, most of them say that it was thanks to following that advice. It really does work!
    Best wishes to you

Posted from my Galaxy Tab