1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job search advice - leaving a school in Notice to Improve

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mantilla, Jan 14, 2011.

1. mantilla

mantilla New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I went on maternity leave in July from a school which has a Notice to Improve. My husband's job has moved 90 mins away so there is no chance of me going back to my old school.
    I am after advice on crafting a personal statement as I was a year 6 teacher in a school where attainment in KS2 was highlighted as an issue. Now, not getting defensive here but I was only in the school two years, so the children's attainment at KS2 is hardly my sole responsibility, but you know what some people can be like about putting all the burden on Y6 teachers. In my view the damage was done lower down the school before I even got them (one of my last class made 5 sub-levels in writing and still wasn't a L4 at the end of the year...)
    Do I need to mention what happened ? Gut instinct says no, but is this right? I suppose I focus on the achievements that were made and possibly the contrast to the year before I arrived where the cohort achieved very very poorly. Does that sound reasonable? Any other tips? Am I just answering my own questions?
    I am looking to go back part-time from September, ideally lower down the school or even better as PPA cover (if that helps).
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    mantilla

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd say just apply for a new post and write what you need to to make a positive impression and answer the person spec of the job in question.

It would be a very bad idea to speak about the school you are leaving in anything but a positive way. The chance of a new head having even heard of your school so far away is slim.

Best of luck.

3. Agreed. The school will see that you have been in post for two years but would be very surprised if they actually bothered to dig into the Year 6 results for those two years that you were there. Also they would be silly to discount a candidate based on the performance of the school. You would hope that they would recognise that there are more factors to the results than just one person.

4. What you need to show is what levels they came to you at and what they left with - this is the data they would ask for and be interested in. Don't go with nothing as they will have likely looked into the school's OfSTED and if they know about the bad year 6 results they need proof that you got good value added at least.

5. mantilla

mantilla New commenter

Thanks for the advice all - I will write my statement solely on the person spec but be prepared to give evidence of my successes and to discuss the data if needed if and when I get invited to interview.
    I wouldn't dream of speaking of my old school in a negative light as I loved it there, really miss the children and staff and am sad to be leaving!