1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Role Questions? (SEN Teacher covering a TA)

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by quidditch, Jan 31, 2012.

1. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

I am an SEN teacher at a secondary school. Our SENCO has "instructed" me to cover a TA during absences!
    She is not the best manager and has upset many people, seems to take advantage of staff and I am not sure if this is acceptable (as there are others TA's available to cover)

Does anyone know?
    I've asked my union but had no answer :-/

2. presumably she is in charge of ensuring best use of resources and will have to justify her decisions to SLT. What would you be doing if you weren't covering this TA?
    Are you supporting students in class with another teacher running the lesson or are you expected to do all the admin/photocopying type stuff TAs need to do?
    If it is in class support (or small group/individual withdrawal) and you aren't timetabled to be teaching and it isn't during your PPA time then it seems reasonable.
    I'd need more info to comment properly.

3. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

I have been taken out of another lesson as there is a controlled assessment and the usual TA is used to scribe. Meaning my student will go unsupported.
    I would be in another class with the Teacher teaching.

It probably would be ok although I don't know the children, its a different department and the manner I was told was pretty unprofessional! mergh office politics!

4. I'm not sure that taking support form one student to support another is great and it's really hard to properly support students you know barely anything about. It sounds as though a big part of the problem was how you were told rather than what you were told. - I do wish managers would think a bit about <u>how</u> to tell people things.

5. No offence intended! but in this day and age of unemployment its a minor issue. My advise would be to just get on with what your boss wants and focus on the more important things in life! Your a ualified teacher after all and its for the kids wherever.

6. Utter Claptarp. Itwasnt like this in my days.Simple solution. You go to wor. You work and you get paid for that. End of. Don't like it or wont do it leave and go elsewhere. Maybe thats why the last poster is unemployed. Time for a re-think on why we just cant seem to be realistic and get real - some in the profession.

7. :)
    unemployed because i took time out of teaching to look after
    my girls one of which has special needs is that also rubbish.</font>

<font face="Calibri">I like to be a part of a forum that offers support...not
    wagging your finger telling people off like you are a parent or our teachers.
    Being positive is good how does your comment help by saying just get on with
    it. If someone wants to challenge something they can...I work with fantastic
    teachers at the moment and all seem to "get on with it" and that has
    always been the case during my career so i don&rsquo;t really get your point. The
    roles I have worked in before staff have queried things with me so what if they
    do I was their head of department at the end of the day. A part of professional development is asking
    questions just getting on with it is mindless development...buy hay what do i
    know i'm unemployed remember. I have had many years in teaching and have only
    been away from teaching a year but still work in schools a couple times a
    weekon a voluntary basis attending meeting etc (professional development not
    mindless development)</font>
    so still have some
    idea of school</font>

<font size="3">Very offensive all because someone does not agree we should
    all just get on with it and pointed out that your comment could have been more
    helpful.</font>