1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job queries

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Glimmer23, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Glimmer23

Glimmer23 New commenter

I’ve been offered a job which is one to one despite not being advertised as such. I didn’t apply for one to one due to being newly qualified and having no one to one experience in paid employment. I don’t feel very confident in this sector and have not met the pupil or seen the classroom setting.

Anyone have any words of wisdom on this? Thanks for reading.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

This kind of thing does happen sometimes. In the past, we have advertised for two or three TAs and, at interview, decided who we would offer class TA roles to and who we thought would work well as a 1-1. You must have given a good interview and impressed as someone who would work well with the child. They know you don't have experience in the role but still had enough confidence in your abilities to offer you the job. Try not to worry.
    You could phone the school and ask to speak to the SENCO. See if you can go into school for a day before you actually start to spend some time in the classroom, meet the child and find out as much as you can about them. A child who has a 1-1 will have a history; hopefully you can have time to read through their SEND file and learn as much as you can.
    When you do start work, the SENCO, class teacher and other TAs should be your allies. The child's work will be set by the teacher, but I'm sure there will be TAs who have previously worked with them and will be able to give you advice about strategies that work best.
    Best of luck - enjoy your new adventure.