1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

job post for church aided school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by saira123, Feb 17, 2011.

1. saira123

saira123 New commenter

Hi
    Im a final year student and have seen a post I would like to apply for. The post is at a church aided school and has a strong christian ethos, however children from all backgrounds attend the school.
    The application says that being a Chrisitian would be 'desirable'. I am not a religious person, but would I be considered for the job, if I could show that I could still fit in to the school and promote their ethos? Or should I give up now?
    What would be expected from a teacher in this post?
    Thanx

2. saira123

saira123 New commenter

Hi
    Im a final year student and have seen a post I would like to apply for. The post is at a church aided school and has a strong christian ethos, however children from all backgrounds attend the school.
    The application says that being a Chrisitian would be 'desirable'. I am not a religious person, but would I be considered for the job, if I could show that I could still fit in to the school and promote their ethos? Or should I give up now?
    What would be expected from a teacher in this post?
    Thanx

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

As with any post, it depends on your competition. They will pick the person they think best fits their school and the post involved. Put positive messages in i.e. 'would strongly and actively support the ethos ..' rather than negative i.e. 'although I am not a religious person ..'
    Personally I would apply for any job you feel you'd like. Everyone finds their niche, and if you don't get the job, the interview process may well be beneficial. Don't give up too easily - competition is fierce thses days!

4. saira123

saira123 New commenter

Thanx for the good advice.
    Im going to visit the school before deciding on how to proceed.

5. I work in a church school and I love the vibe it has. There are huge differences in Church schools, but for us it means lots of things. Lots of church services, clergy attending to come and do assembly weekly, a separate syllabus for the teaching of RE (and separate inspection for that too). It permeates into the behaviour policy and I love the fact that ours is a calm and caring school....you will very rarely walk past someone's classroom and hear shouting.
    I worried about the question coming up at interview and it didn't... Make sure you don't make excuses for how little you go to church etc and reinforce how you would be strongly committed to supporting the christian ethos at the school.