1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job possibilities for an Art Teacher

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by jone, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    After reading in one of the forums that Art is being squashed out of the NC it got me thinking..... it might just be a rumour but what if suddenly we all, Art Teachers got fired......
    What are the options out there for someone with teaching experience apart from setting your own painting, drawing, etc....tutorial lessons?

- Lead a bohemian life and pursue the artistic route previously abandoned
    - Try to get into the educational programmes of museums
    - Go back to uni and go into Art psychology

These are so far the only ideas that popped into my mind.....
    I would love to hear more..

2. Hi all,
    After reading in one of the forums that Art is being squashed out of the NC it got me thinking..... it might just be a rumour but what if suddenly we all, Art Teachers got fired......
    What are the options out there for someone with teaching experience apart from setting your own painting, drawing, etc....tutorial lessons?

- Lead a bohemian life and pursue the artistic route previously abandoned
    - Try to get into the educational programmes of museums
    - Go back to uni and go into Art psychology

These are so far the only ideas that popped into my mind.....
    I would love to hear more..

3. Hi
    I moved into teaching media studies and have never looked back (it was about 3 years ago that I went full time media) - Im pretty accomplished at pottery and fine art but have used all these skills to learn film making, 3d animation and photography (all of which I had an interest in at uni/art school). This was a personal choise rather than being the result of the factors that you mention - I now have 200+ students enrolled on art oriented media courses and love every minute! If you're passionate about art, I don't think it matters if you're not based full time in an art department. The games industry is BOOMING at the moment and if you're talented you could score an amazing job as lead artist, modeller, level designer, texture artist etc etc (the list is endless). Please check out my site.
    http://swanwickhallmedia.weebly.com
    Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue. Doug

4. I don't think it's just Art that is going to vanish from our schools. From what I can pick up from Gove, it will be all but Maths Science, English and PE that will go in mainstream. It's a very bleak time indeed for the young of this country and for many of their teachers too.

5. Considering the creative industries are 'responsible for 7% of the country's output and exports of £16 bn a year' employing more than 2 million people 'in 180,000 businesses- accounting for nearly 9% of all enterprises' according to the Guardian (26/3/11 p.41) it is a sad indictment of the means of transition from education to the workplace that the question has to be asked at all. As for me- I could go back to what I was doing before, which incidentally was less work and better paid, not that I'm complaining...