1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job only asking for cv and covering letter. NO personal statement

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by natalia2008, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi there, just as I said in the title, the job is only asking for cv and covering letter. It is not asking for a personal statement.

Therefore, do I treat the covering letter as a personal statement/covering letter. Using it to state my personal details, my good points in teaching, skills etc.

Thankyou, any helped welcomed!

2. I think I would provide a potted version of my experience and why I am good for the job, then give them the "if you need anymore informaiton, like a personal statement, please let me know..." line.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I would say yes. And, yes again to good points etc., though some of the personal details and skills would more likely belong in your CV.

4. How long should a letter of application/covering letter be do you think? My CV is 2 pages and includes the bare minimum.

5. this is my first cv and covering letter as i am an nqt, to clarify what exactly should my cv have, as an nqt i thought it would include the basics.like
    -personal details,
    -my previous job on my gap year
    -my school placements during my 3 year teaching degree.
    -my skills in my cv aswell

and the covering letter should have everything else included? i was looking at write a page covering letter, but not too long, as i can imagine the amount they have to read through!

thankyou for all your replies so far!

6. also, so my covering letter would then address the points they ask for on the personal specification?

thankyou

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The best thing you can do is go over to jobseekers and check out TheoGriff's recommendations. As an ex headmaster, he knows what he is talking about.
    Failing that, I always treat a covering letter as my personal statement. It consists of four main sections:
    Section 1: My background in teaching and how that background matches their requirements.
    Section 2: My teaching philosophy and how that ties in with what the school is about and what they are looking for in a teacher.
    Section 3: How my background and teaching career fits in with the direction the school is heading in and how I can make a positive contribution to this.
    Section 4: A little bit about myself as a person and how I am looking forward to hearing from them.
    This is usually two sides, but some employers have their own requirements and insist upon a single side of A4. In those situations you have to decide what to keep in and what to leave out.
    A decent letter of application takes time to write and needs to be streamlined to the school in particular. Generic letters might as well go in the bin.
    My own philosophy is that when looking for a job I only apply to a few schools ( last time it was 4 schools - 3 interviews - 2 offers - 1 interview declined - and I accepted one of the posts ).
    I cannot stress strongly enough that you should take the time to fully research the school and cater your letter and C.V. to what they want.
    Also you will get rejected from schools for many reasons - not all of them to do with your experience. Some schools look for male teachers, some for female, some for families, some for single people. It is just one of things.
    Good luck!

8. Thanks. I go on about two pages for the letter of application/cover letter/personal statement. To me they are all fairly similar and where it's you respond to any specifics in the advert and where you talk about the things you listed above. I, like others have a template letter that I adapt to suit each school - pick up words from their website that they clearly like - set the tone of the letter to suit their tone etc. In the UK I wrote three such letters, got three interviews and three offers. Not sure I'll be quite so successful internationally but one can but hope!! :D

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

There is only one way of finding out and that is by applying, so good luck and all the best!

10. thankyou for all your help, much appreciated!

11. Useful thread, particularly Karvol's post. One thing I always struggle with when writing the covering letter/personal statement is how to start and finish it.
    Is it good to start off with pointing out how excited one got when seeing the ad, or what a pleasure it is to apply? Sounds a bit manure-ey to me. Does one just launch into "I've been teaching for X years and currently..." or what? I'd appreciate any advice on a good opening line!
    The same goes for closing lines. I've always written something about how I'm an amazing fit for the school and how I'm going to be wonderful and involved with the school. Is that bad?

12. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

I usually start with something along the lines of "I am writing in application to the post of X as recently advertised on/in Y."

To end, I plump for something like "I do hope that my experience and qualifications prove my suitability for the vacancy; please do not hesitate to consult my attached CV for further information or to contact me should any further information be required. // Kind regards..."