1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Offers and Health Checks

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by merryal, Feb 9, 2012.

1. I am 22 and a PGCE student who has just got a job offer at an amazing independent school. However, I'm now really worried.

Will the school do a health check? I was asked at interview if I'd had any medical problem which could affect my ability to teach. I answered "I don't think so". However, I was diagnosed with depression 4 years ago (in my first year of university)(while at school I had problems with depression and self harm, though I did not go to the doctor at the time, I told them later, so it is all on my medical record) I was on medication for 9 months, and since coming off (over three years ago) have had no symptoms.

Since then I've got a good degree and lived abroad, and am now doing well on the PGCE. I am very capable and think it is unlikely that I will become depressed again. We had to fill out a medical declaration to begin the PGCE and I wrote my full history and my doctor signed the declaration that I am fit and well to teach. So: is it likely the school will do a health check? And if so, could they retract a job offer?

Thanks for your help, I'm really worried about this!