1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offered then school did a disappearing act

Discussion in 'Personal' started by INTHEDOGHOUSE, Apr 3, 2020.

1. INTHEDOGHOUSE

INTHEDOGHOUSE New commenter

Has anyone had this happen to them at all? I had a job interview that had been lined up through the agency and I went to the school to be interviewed and to teach my lesson. Both went well because the school informed the agent that I was offered the post however, the school went quiet on the agent when he pressed for paperwork to confirm the appointment - although I realise there could have been negotiating fees they were not keen to accept.

The agent has had no firm response from the school other than the Head is leaving and they need to work out their staffing issues.

Thi has made me feel very demoralised.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well I imagine if the Head is going and the possibility of schools not going into 'normal mode' anytime soon, this may be the least of their concerns and may just have been pushed on to the back burner.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

No need to feel demoralised,everything is up in the air at the moment.

Had the same, job offered but then a new management decided to cancel the offer, all within days.

It seemed after taking advice the case was reasonable if taken to court for me to get at least one month's wages but at the same time not one that guarantees a win due to no actual contract being signed.

Due to that uncertainty but certainty courts and such would cause stress, I let it go.

I think all you can do is as @Lara mfl 05 says, wait it out.

4. INTHEDOGHOUSE

I have been waiting for 6 weeks now.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Tough one, admitted. Prod those you can but otherwise I am sure all you will hear is 'this is unprecedented times'.

My gut feeling is the same has happened as to me - a new management has decided it will save money and yes, that does mean you are in the firing line for that.

One thing I truly hate these days is often employers don't get back to you in the understanding you will 'get' that they are not interested.

6 weeks would make me feel that has happened here but in these times you have every right to push for a clear and final decision.

INTHEDOGHOUSE and agathamorse like this.
  6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Sounds as though you may have had a lucky escape...

7. INTHEDOGHOUSE

The agent did on my behalf and I then both emailed and rang the HR Manager, who did not get back to me.

There are other posts out there now.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This sort of thing happens.

I was offered a post at a school and then......nothing.

Finally the night before I was due to start I got a phone call from the agency.

They've found somebody else cheaper - do you mind ?

agathamorse and INTHEDOGHOUSE like this.
  9. INTHEDOGHOUSE

that's awful and I suspect that's what's happened here. I have 25 years experience and have never ever come across this before.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Grrr peakster.

INTHEDOGHOUSE likes this.
  11. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Assuming a teacher did this to a school, he would be crucified. Schools can ditch a teacher at the last minute but the teacher can’t. I thought what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It didn't end well for the school. The person they appointed lasted about three weeks and I got a permanent job a couple of weeks later.

13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am sorry to hear that you have been dumped on @peakster . I do not blame you for feeling despondent. I have had the same happen to me a couple of times, so I know how you feel. Once, being new to the supply game, I fell for one of oldest tricks in the book; that of the long-term position starting....sometime soon! I prepared lesson plans, SOWs, resources, all the usual stuff, only for the job to be cancelled that day before I was due to start. I was livid!

INTHEDOGHOUSE and agathamorse like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It was a few years ago now JR

Actually I reckon i got off lightly

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It did happen to me once when I was a HT. we agreed to take someone on on long term supply and paid for her to spend the day talking to the teacher who was going on maternity. The next afternoon, which was also the last day of half term, I got a phone call to say that she had decided to take a job somewhere else.

I then spent the half term holiday looking for someone else. On the plus side I did manage to find an excellent teacher. The teacher who turned down the job also left her hard disk drive in school with all her resources on it. Funnily enough she never did return to collect it.

It is very unprofessional whether it is the school or teacher who is acting this way.

16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Probably you did. What would it have been like working for such people?

agathamorse and INTHEDOGHOUSE like this.
  17. INTHEDOGHOUSE

Well exactly, who wants to work in a place like this?

agathamorse likes this.