1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offered....now what happens?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Twix22, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Twix22

Twix22 New commenter

Hi all,

So i was lucky enough to be offered a job last week as an LSP in a special school (yay!!!) Of course this a conditional offer dependent on reference clearance etc.
    Now, I've never worked in a school before (youth work background) so I dont know how the after interview process works.

They asked me to come in the day after to complete some paperwork, bank details and medical questionnaire etc which I did. I handed it over and ths receptionist said all sorted we'll be in touch. So now I'm wondering what happens with my DBS check because haven't heard anything since? The school closes this Friday for the summer break but they gave me a start date of September 4th but I can't see how everything will be sorted by the end of the week. So silly question but do I just sit tight and wait? I know I should of confirmed this with them, but in all honesty I was a little giddy with excitement and wasn't thinking clearly!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You can only submit a DBS application through them (you can't apply for it directly to DBS yourself). Give them a quick call or email and ask.

3. Twix22

Twix22 New commenter

Thank you for the reply Rott Weiler. I was thinking of giving them a quick call but I wasn't too sure as I didn't want to come across as over eager. I'll ring them in the morning.

4. Twix22

Twix22 New commenter

Hi just a mini update and ask to a further question.

So it turns out my DBS suffered a technical glitch so wasn't submitted. I've resubmitted it this morning and it's now gone through fine, but obviously the school closes tomorrow so here's my worry/question. I spoke to the receptionist and queried my start date to which he said hmm I'm not sure I'll get back to you, but he hasn't so far (I appreciate it's a busy time right now). This leaves me only tomorrow for clarity so I will chase up again but what if I dont get a straight answer? (I feel like I'm bugging them with questions) As with most schools there's an INSET day at the start of next term which I assume I'm expected to attend, but as of yet all I have is a conditional offer via email. I'm not worried about passing DBS or references, but if I don't get a clear answer, do I just turn up on the INSET day because even though I haven't yet received a formal offer due to school being closed over the summer, I assume it will come in time?

Apologies if I sound stupid but having never worked in a school before I'm unsure of the process! Thank you.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You are looking at it the wrong way round. Assume everything is OK unless they tell you otherwise. So if you hear nothing just turn up at the INSET day at the start of term.

6. Twix22

Twix22 New commenter

Sorry Rott, I missed your reply. Thank you for giving me sound advice. I received the official job confirmation letter yesterday with a start day so I can stop fretting now and chill out until September!