1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer withdrawn - what now?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by RoryIsGoingToYale, Jun 15, 2020.

1. RoryIsGoingToYale

RoryIsGoingToYale New commenter

Hi everyone,

Over a month ago I was offered a job in an international school in Qatar. I signed a contract and was preparing to get all my documents legalised.

Today I have found out that the school “can’t continue the process with me” because I have a child out of wedlock and wouldn’t be able to sponsor him in order to obtain RP.
    To say that I’m heartbroken is an understatement. My children were really looking forward to the move. So was my husband. I feel like I’ve let them all down.

Is it like this in all of the ME? Should I not bother to look for a job there anymore?
    But most importantly, what would you do now, if you were in my situation?
    Any advice will be very much appreciated.

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

No great advice to offer but didn't want your post to go unaddressed. It will vary by country, but yes, the ME can generally be one of the most restrictive regions when it comes to hiring/entry (and life in general).

It is natural to feel disappointed but don't be too hard on yourself. I would say you dodged a bullet in many respects. Many people enjoy (or at least don't hate) living in the ME but there are many more enjoyable places in the world to live and work in the world.

Keep applying and hopefully something better will come your way. Hang in there!

3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@RoryIsGoingToYale

Very unfortunate news for you and your family. But yes, when it comes to entry of your +1 and children, it's a very strict region. Was it something you hadn't thought about until the school started to process your documents?

Anyway...

It's true what they say, things happen for a reason and you'll get your next opportunity. One that could prove to be a better one for you and your family.

But you've got to make to happen... Dust it off.. Learn your lesson... And keep applying.

4. deadly lampshade

deadly lampshade New commenter

Schools, often quite rightly, take a lot of flak on these forums.

On this occasion, however, there is absolutely nothing that a school could do to help you. To be in a family status relationship here, you need a marriage certificate.

As an additional piece of information, people thinking of applying to Qatar with step-children or even legally adopted kids need to know that there can be bumps in the road, although these can be worked out.

But unmarried with kids. That's a no.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As this old smelly hippopotamus has pointed out once or twice before, you need to do your homework. If you just assume that things will be the same as they are in the UK, then you may have a nasty surprise (or two).

RoryisGoingtoYale, the ME is a large and very varied region. What you might get away with in one country is a definite no-no in another.

6. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

This should have been dealt with earlier by the school, at the end of our interviews at the school I’m at, we ask the question about dependents, this would have stopped the issue straight away, not a month later.

7. starsandcookies

starsandcookies New commenter

Exactly, the school has failed you here. I'm sorry that you're in this situation and wish you luck for the future.

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Sorry to hear that. It does sound a bit like the school hit an obstacle and either can't get round it, or can't be bothered to figure a way round it. As others have said, it should really have been dealt with sooner by the school.

On the other hand, this year is a bit of a strange year for jobs, all things considered. Don't rule out being able to get one for August - it might not be Qatar, but there will be some decent ones appearing soon, I suspect.

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Come to Asia. A lot less silly rules and there are still jobs being advertised.

Perce

mightyb, grdwdgrrrl and mermy like this.
  10. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Apart from being closer to the UK, I can't think of any other reason to work in the ME over Asia.

grdwdgrrrl and percy topliss like this.
  11. RoryIsGoingToYale

Thank you for your replies so far.
    No, to be honest, I didn't expect I would not be able to sponsor my own child because I wasn't married to his dad 13 years ago. I knew that you had to be married in order to be able to live and work in the ME. And I am currently married. I also have a friend who's living in Qatar, never been married and has a daughter. Her school have told her that she will be able to bring her daughter over and all she needs is a no objection letter from the father. No talk of having to produce a divorce certificate.

12. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Having taken 2 children to Qatar with me, I had to produce a legal document, produced by a court hearing, stating that my ex-wife had no objections. It is not enough to just get a letter from the ex spouse. That was a while ago.

13. RoryIsGoingToYale

Did you have to produce a divorce certificate?

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

As you have a husband, it surprises me it's an issue that one of the children was born out of wedlock? I'd have thought they would just have checked you were married, not that the marriage date meant they were legitimate (my gran had a similar issue, not in teaching, many years ago, where she was questioned about my dad's status)? If they do check that, it surprises me, guess every day is a school day. My gran had no issues with my dad because she was married by the time she went back to work (that was a different situation, many years ago, but it would seem logical the principle would be the same?)Or if it's that one child has a different surname, could you get it changed? Please ask someone who is legally qualified-I'm not , I'm just trying to think of anything you might be able to do that could help.

15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

OP says they have a husband, so can't be unmarried.

16. RoryIsGoingToYale

That is correct. I am married, have two children, one from previous relationship where I was not married.

17. soni

soni New commenter

Perhaps it is the school has an issue with the situation as they do not appear to be willing to deal/support with your application. I was an unmarried single parent in Qatar, 7 years ago. It was not an issue.
    If the school are unable/unwilling to support your application, then look for another school that looks after its staff.

karenpink likes this.
  18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

The OP says she has a ‘husband’ so I assume is married.
    Edit - ignore this as I see that it has already been addressed earlier

19. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I’m not sure of the exact sticking point here, but there are many possibilities.
    In Qatar, a child’s paternity must be acknowledged in order to secure a visa. And legal authority given for the custodial parent to move the child to Qatar. So it might not be as simple as being out of wedlock. It could be that the family does not have the supporting docs needed for the child.
    custodial issues are huge in securing visas in Qatar. Without the right docs, it won’t happen. The authorities are immovable on this point. Even with the right docs, non-standard situations can be really difficult. It would take my school at least twice as long to get a visa for an adopted child as for a biological child. At least. And often more.
    Several posters have blamed the parents or the school for this situation, but I’m more inclined to guess that neither party realized what was happening until to late. If the OP listed on her application that she was married with two kids, the school wouldn’t have foreseen any issue and wouldn’t have known to ask more questions. And the OP clearly didn’t see it coming either. Sometimes things just go wrong and no one is really to blame.

Kartoshka likes this.
  20. Kaz_1978

Kaz_1978 New commenter

I hadn't even assumed this would have been an issued until I read this post. I'm stunned. Glad it worked out for you.