1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer in Italy

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lucyhayhurst, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Dear all,

I have been offered a job in a British International school today in Italy.

Although very excited- i was surprised as only had a phone interview last night for 30 minutes?!

I have emailed to say I would like an opportunity to look at the school and meet children/staff.

Just wondering if anyone has worked in Italy as i'm very nervous!

Thanks

2. lozdabomb

lozdabomb New commenter

Hi, Im looking for a job like this in Italy, could you please tell me where it was advertised?

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I'm in Italy at the moment and really love it! I was also appointed from a telephone interview and my school is certainly a good school and a great place to work! Rents are high and you have to be prepared to pay 3 months up front plus 1 month to the agent as fees so expect to pay in the region of Euro 5,000 - obviously this depends on the monthly rent of your apartment. You will also have to pay a changeover fee for electricity and gas. One tip if you want to watch UK TV download BBC I-player and a good VPN (www.strongVPN.com) you have to pay for it but it certainly is worth it. You can then also access ITV, Channel 4 and Sky if you have a subscription at home or you can pay for an online service.
    Learn some of the language it helps! Transport is very reasonable and it might pay to buy a monthly pass especially if you are in a city.
    Send me a PM if you want any further information. Also let me know where you are going to be and if I know the area then I will give you some localised advice. I'm in Milan but have also lived in Turin.

4. Lucky you! If you are lonely, try to make contact with the expat TEFL crowd. The teachers are very well educated, fun and helpful. They do lots of theatre, outings and the good old dinner parties. Although many of them have been there for years, age is not an issue as it is a very diverse and inclusive crowd.
    I had a 30 minute phone interview by a very respectable, accountable institution. It was a panel tho'.
    Good luck!

5. Hi, hope you don't mind me asking a quick question.
    I have been working in a nursery for past 3years and have NVQ4. Prior to that Middle East teaching Kindergarten for 10 years. I am moving to Milan on Thursday due to Hubbys job. I am hoping to work in early years maybe in an international/British school but have no Italian Yet.
    Could you give me any advice please?

Many thanks

6. There are a number of British/ International schools in Milan and the Milan area, try a google search for contact names and details and then contact them directly. The curriculum is delivered through the medium of English although, in Early Years, having some level of Italian would serve as an advantage.

7. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

The schools in the Milan area seem to be well organised if this is sandwiched between Venice and Verona...good luck!

8. Why do you say good luck?

I found my job on the TES overseas section.

I am slightly worried as have still not recieved a contract and was offered the job early april?

This normal?

9. from what i've seen you have to have a biritsh teaching degree however it may be different for different schools of for nursery.

10. Good share

11. aussie_teacher_nt

aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

Curious about the pay in Italy if you don't mind me asking. Went there for the first time last year and just ate and ate and ate...lol! Loved it!

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Usually very very low. Hard to live any sort of life. May require lots of extra hours as a tutor.

13. aussie_teacher_nt

aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

Yeah that's what I thought. What a shame..... :(

Think I'll just stick to visiting then.... lol

14. irishthatshowiroll

irishthatshowiroll New commenter

Interested to know why you are giving this advice? Have you lived or worked there as a teacher?

15. irishthatshowiroll

irishthatshowiroll New commenter

I also wanted to know a bit of information about teaching in Italy and have some to offer. Thinking of moving next summer. Feel free to message.