1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer in Doha

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by asifgillani, Mar 1, 2019.

1. asifgillani

asifgillani New commenter

Hello,

I have been offered a music teaching position at a private english school in Doha. The salary is 11, 692 QAR which seems a bit low? I have also been offered the usual flights, accommodation, local medical coverage package but no travel allowance. My family will not be moving with me to Doha. Would be grateful for opinions on salary and package.

Thanks

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, the salary is a bit low, but then again you have not said much about your qualifications and your teaching experience.

An awful lot of schools in Qatar are "private", meaning that the parents have to pay fees in order to send their little darlings to those schools. They are not "private", however, when it comes to being free from the stupid interference and the silly meddling of the Supreme (and Absolutely Perfect) Education Council, aka the SEC.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "travel allowance", asifgillani. Most schools do not provide you with lots of extra cash, so that you can fly about all over the world. Some schools do provide you with a transport allowance, so that you can get to and from school.

Last but by no means least, English should have a capital "E", please.

abikuwait and leenacharme4 like this.
  3. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Congrats on your offer, I agree with the hippo but who wouldn’t. I hope your username isn’t your real name and if so maybe get this post deleted and start again you never know whose watching.

Any school offering only local medical coverage isn’t often worth much, you said it’s private rather than international (although some schools aren’t even that) and that’s another negative strike and I would

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

No medical insurance is a showstopper for me.
    Is the accommodation shared?
    Low salary so I would not accept unless there is a really good reason that you need a job.

bec_payne and dumbbells66 like this.
  5. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

11,692QR per month with local medical can only be accurately judged if we know both your qualifications and years of experience.

It is safe to say your school is neither the petrol or embassy schools. If you are not in either of these then expect to be offered a low salary. This means if you have <5 years experience then this is fairly accurate in today's market. If you have >6 years then your school maybe one of the "private" ones that may test you in the upmost holistic manner.

It is important to know that... The entire country is trying to save wherever and whenever possible. Best of luck.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  6. the hippo

Well, let us all hope and pray that it is not one of those notorious "scientific apple" schools. Here is a picture of the owners, Dr J and Madam A***.

016_small.jpg

7. asifgillani

Thank you everyone, the school is offering local medical coverage. Is this any good? Please can I ask what sort of salary I should expect? I was the thinking of 14000-15000? What is a 'scientific apple' school? sorry newbie here! Hippo, can I pm you to discuss further? I take it you have had a fair amount of experience of teaching in Qatar.

8. the hippo

Yes, of course you can send me one of those silly TES Conversation things. I will help you, if I can.

9. taiyah

Local medical coverage: the local system is outstanding. Depending on where you live you will be assigned a designated Centre. The country has and continue to spend $$$$$ to provide the best health care. There's waiting time but all hospitals and GPs do.

14-15000QR/Month for somebody with less than 3-4 years experience.?? As stated and in today's market in the country.. Unless you are in one of the embassy schools or the gas school which, you are not. This won't happen. How have you actually been teaching?

10. taiyah

Last line.. How long have you been teaching?

11. asifgillani

I have been teaching for over three years.

12. centrale

centrale New commenter

I also have recently received an offer from a school in Qatar. For a class teacher with over 20 years experience they offered 12000 QR salary per month and 1680 QR transport allowance also paid monthly. Housing is included, return flights, medical insurance and a freight allowance of 1000 QR there and back. Nowhere near as much as I was expecting.

13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you try following the news you may learn that Quatar is under an economic blockade by its neighbors. The idea is to destroy its economy until the Qatari government stops the support for what some Arabic countries call terrorists.

As a countries economy gets destroyed it becomes poorer and can no longer afford the luxuries like private eduction and therefore your salary.

You will find many long term teacher's leaving Qatar as it is become expensive to live, salaries are been reduced and you need to sell an arm and a leg to pay for flights out of the country.

14. taiyah

Less than 5 years.. . Yes, your offer is standard in today's market and the school you are about to teach in.

Depending on your lifestyle and with no bills you are in the clear of £2000 a month. Savings will be there. And in 2019 where student loans for a teacher can go as high as £20k take it.. Do your time. Everyone else did. You'll get to the £3000-4000 mark if you're wise with your location...

Good luck.

15. the hippo

Well, 12000 and a transport allowance is not so bad these days. I think that many teachers in the UK would be glad to have a job that gives them an opportunity to save some cash. Okay, Qatar is not everyone's cup of tea and yes, I have heard that quite a few things are more expensive these days in Doha. Salaries are not what they were, alas, and you might have one or two little problems, such as the Doha traffic and the SEC. Sitting in a queue of traffic for an hour and a half, after a long day at school, is not my idea of fun.

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

All true HipHip. I'm reminding myself that in our privileged been-there, done-that positions, with deep CVs and a bit of cash saved up, we have better choices about what to do with our lives. True, some places might turn us down on the grounds that we're past it, but we no longer have to consider taking any job that doesn't suit us.
    Doha is not what it was when we were there, yet it's still a good opportunity for many.

17. the hippo

Well, gulfers old chap, I was actually retired for six months! Mrs Hippo was fed up with me sitting on the computer all day and eating too much, so now I have a new job in Sofia. The food is a lot better than in China, I can tell you!

gulfgolf likes this.
  18. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

One of the first steps in our retirement will be a grand food tour. We plan to keep going until we no longer fit comfortably behind the wheel.

19. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

Yes the blockade isn't disappearing yet, but the idea that the Qatar economy is being destroyed is purely anecdotal and from a position of fear and negativity. Perhaps you had a bad experience F31st but many teachers out here don't, and the ones who left didn't necessary flee a failing economy.

I guess it depends on the school/package/individual, but I've been here for 7 months now and let me assure those wanting to come to Qatar, the blockade and flight prices should not be a concern. The streets out here are paved with opportunity...and dusty sand.....lots of it!

20. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

OP, I think that salary is too low to consider. For your experience you should be aiming for around 14+