1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer in Doha...what should we be asking/need to know?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by caspergmoore, Dec 3, 2019.

1. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Are you secretly the PUSA? "I have many, many friends. Many." The similarity is uncanny....

You can't stay on task and put the OP's agenda first because you've never worked in the OP's interest point of location.

@caspergmoore have sent you a convo if you want up to date and valid answers to your questions.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

what's the matter @taiyah, don't you like being pulled up on your clearly wrong sweeping statements?

4 and a half days left... roll on Christmas

3. caspergmoore

caspergmoore New commenter

I can't figure out how to start conversations here. If you can message me I'd appreciate it :)

4. caspergmoore

Yes open to all advice

5. caspergmoore

6. kader2393

kader2393 New commenter

Hi hippo

I have started a conversation

I would be grateful if you could advice

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, and I have replied, kader2393. I have sent you my e-mail address and my SKYPE username. I don't think that there is much that I can do!

8. pompeypfc

pompeypfc New commenter

I am happy to give up to date and less biased information about schools in Doha including what Hippo calls the rotten apple

9. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

11. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

I’d like to here what you have to say - have sent conversation!

12. taiyah

You hit it right on the head there. Upto date and less bias.

pompeypfc likes this.
  13. Nishath786

Nishath786 New commenter

Hi Pompey. Could you give me some info on a school? Have interview on Sunday... it't named after a school in England; first syllable is an American singer married to Sonny and the second syllable is the American Bond-type character whose first name is Jason. Read ISR and the last review (2018) was too positive and perfect and the second one painted a very different picture

14. pompeypfc

pompeypfc New commenter

Haven't been here for a while - not sure how to open the conversation

15. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

From this screen click on your avatar in the top right and you should see “conversations”

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

My friend worked there 5 years ago for 2 years. He said it was a nice place when he started but then something happened and there was a large exodus as people were constantly having to look over their shoulders. Not sure what's happened since then. It definitely used to have a good reputation. They offered me a job a while back and although I didn't take it, I did leave the process with a really positive impression. This was before the event my friend described though

17. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

My advice would be to stay away. There is one dept in the school that is truly awful who report everything to the owner of the school who in turns demands that those teachers in question are sacked! A number of excellent teachers have been asked to leave the school.

18. Nishath786

Nishath786 New commenter

Thanks T0ny and Jason. Seems to be quite a mixed bag of feedback about this school.

19. taiyah

@Nishath786

What you are missing are current and first hand update. You'd be silly not to explore yourself.

Yes, people have left. But no different to any school around the world.

- staff who have been there for 8+ years are still there
    - just like any merry-go-round it is a school people move to when wanting to stay in QA
    - just like any school around the world.. It has its frustrations
    - there's room for professional growth
    - salary wise it sits semi-kinda top'ish.

As for Jason_Bourne's insight... If you keep your head down and be a bit more intelligent in playing the political game of any establishments. You will be more than fine.

Good luck.

20. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

My initial post was referring to the secondary school which opened in 2012, so there won't be any teaching staff who have been there for 8+ years that you have mentioned.

Yes, every school has a turnover of staff. After all, teachers are employed on two year contracts and are quite rightly free to move on to a different school.

Yes, all schools have their frustrations and red tape which means that simple things take longer to get completed.

What is not acceptable is the way that some excellent teachers have been asked to leave this school. I won't go into specific details in an open forum but the school, like many others, lacks professionalism in this particular area.