1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer in Doha...what should we be asking/need to know?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by caspergmoore, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:35 PM.

1. caspergmoore

caspergmoore New commenter

My other half has been offered a position in Doha. I have been reading many threads/comments and its a mix of positive and negative...

This will be her first and our first international move and post. What questions should we be asking? What do we need to confirm and get in place? What's good/bad? Is the blockade making things very difficult?

Any advice or help for some newbies in this game?

2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

There are a plethora of threads on this topic that extensively covers everything you are asking.

3. caspergmoore

I haven't found very recent or exactly what I'm after. They are specific threads about moving as a family or Dubai Vs Doha etc. If you can direct me to any posts you think covers this or answers my questions then happy to but I have looked through numerous threads and wanted some direct responses/experiences rather than generalised or diluted ones.

This is a first for us and would like to hear from people.

4. Hi Caspergmoore

Please be careful of some schools in Qatar. one of the big schools " The rotten apple schools / Sir Isaac ? " have been bullying teachers and offer low wages. They have reduced all the extras like children's free schooling etc. The other school to watch out for is the same name as the TV News company IN Doha. Some teachers have been assaulted or had things taken from there bags in school.
    The international teaching thing is a bit like the wild west and some senior management and owners are cowboys who are just after the school fees.

My tip is if you cant find any reviews on the school, beware, thats because the school take them down asap.

caspergmoore likes this.
  5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The first question you should ask goes something like this, "Does the name of the school make you think of someone called Isaac?" If this school is one of the rotten apples, then my advice is to get a long piece of wood called a "bargepole".

Another thing that you can do is to write a reply to the TES Conversation I have sent to you. Go to your avatar (right at the top of the screen, on the right) and click on it, so that a little menu appears.

Incidentally, my avatar shows a picture of me in the bath, having a little chat with my dear wife.

6. caspergmoore

The answer is No, regarding the school. I believe it's a good one and I myself know of them through my own job. But as a first offer/move it's daunting and could benefit from a hand hold or guidance...

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, I am sure that lots of schools will try to convince you that they are "a good one", but later you find out that it was clever and / or dishonest marketing. Anyway, I have replied to your email, caspergmoore, and I will try to be on SKYPE tonight.

And I do not think that it is a good idea to use your real name on any kind of Internet forum.

8. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

Unless you enjoy earning low pay and working with lots of Irish NQT's in a school with massive turnover, do not consider working for one of Sir Isaac's schools in Doha!

9. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Is there a particular problem with Irish NQTs....?

10. taiyah

PM is you need.

11. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

If your username is anything like your real name email the mods and change it to something else. Your new school will be reading every word.

Specifically ask:
    1. What amount of money will I take home every month?
    2. What accommodation will I have?
    3. Does the offer include medical insurance?
    4. What subject will I teach?
    5. Can I contact someone who is currently a teacher in the school?

Question 1 can produce very unclear answers. Salary is usually made up from a base salary plus allowances. You are legally entitled to a final gratuity which ic calculated from your monthly salary. Often you will be quoted a low monthly salary so that the final gratuity is minimised. You must decide if the money is acceptable. Anything less than QR14000 per month take home is not acceptable under any circumstances.

Do not accept shared accommodation.

Do not accept an offer if you do not receive medical insurance.

caspergmoore likes this.
  12. taiyah

Really?? In this economic climate and considering even both the gas and embassy schools are looking to cut costs... QR13000 is £2600-2700 tax and accommodation free..

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Yes but it is Qatar not some beautiful destination. You would earn every penny. I would not accept 13k

14. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I was earning more than that in Eastern Europe over ten years ago. Tax free, free accommodation. Personally wouldnt go anywhere near that part of the world for less than 3 times that.

15. caspergmoore

How do i contact a mod? i cannot see this. I have changed my name but it doesn't seem to update. I am not a teacher so i am not overly concerned but if someone can tell me how?

16. taiyah

Plenty would say China, Beijing in particular should be avoided.

As for, the "You would earn every penny." comment... First tier schools in Asia will ask you to work 6-7 days a week. But for some of us who understand the demands of the job... It's a moo point to be honest.

I'm more concerned about the lazy attitude your comment presents. How dare one think one would need to go beyond the bare minimum? Lazy.

That's a shame because plenty of teaching couples with no responsibilities are raking in £6000 - 8000 tax, bills and accommodation free a month!

There are plenty of people who wouldn't touch certain destinations even if offered the money. Each to their own.

17. dumbbells66

I earn that on my own.

18. taiyah

Didn't take long for token mine is longer comment.

You are aware that the focus here is the OP and their impending and possible posting to QA.. Hence, the realistic salaries one (and couples) could earn in a specific destination.

caspergmoore likes this.
  19. ed717

ed717 New commenter

20. dumbbells66

I'm not sure where you have got this from, but it's rubbish. I have a number of friends in a large number of first-tier Asian schools and none of them are doing this.