1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer in China - help

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lpbray, Apr 21, 2020.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

moscowbore is right, lianaanthony. It is a question of your personal safety. You should not be using your own photo and you should find yourself a pseudonym asap.

Of course, people have said to me, "Why are you using your own photo on the TES? Do you really want people to know that you are a hippopotamus?" Yes, it is true that my wife was a bit upset when she saw my avatar, the picture of the two of us having a little chat in the bath. Maybe I will get round to changing it, one of these days.

2. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

'When hippos are defecating, they typically start spinning their tails in order to spread their faeces all over the places. The radius they cover with this spray is rather large – can reach up to 10 meters, but in some cases even standing further will not protect you.'

3. lpbray

lpbray New commenter

Sorry to sound naive; but what is the issue with international schools reading this thread? These are genuine concerns of teachers and as far as I can see all above board and professional.

4. Mitochondria1

Because some schools don't like what they read and will withdraw offers if teachers are posting about their school in anyway whatsoever.

BlueHues likes this.
  5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Technically, you shouldn't post anything which would make yourself identifiable here at all. We all do post bits sometimes, but you'd need to read all our posts to put them all together.

6. the hippo

I am not sure that it is really kind or helpful to describe some of my personal habits, Mitochondria1.

amysdad makes a valid point. I believe that scammers and conmen do have software that can automatically sift through hundreds thousands of posts on Internet forums, looking for data that can be used for fraud and blackmail.

7. lpbray

lpbray New commenter

Schools would break a contract for someone saying they've been offered a position? Wow

8. LimeTime

LimeTime New commenter

Thanks for the nudge. I set up like this to get a job. Ill change today.

9. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"Schools would break a contract "

They aren't contracts in the sense that you might have a contract between two parties in the UK. In practical terms, either party can in effect tell the other to naff off at any time, because whilst either party might have the right in theory to sue the other, in practice, it's almost impossible; both parties need to find each other first, then there's the cost, the language problems, the difficulty navigating the legal system of another country, the difficulty of proving anything (he said she said) etc etc. You'll read a lot of nonsense about teachers or schools being blacklisted, but it's all rubbish. The world is huge, schools and personnel from different schools do not talk or coordinate with each other and the whole industry is commission based and cut throat.

Substitute 'letter of intent' whenever you read 'contract'.

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Actually, I have know at least one offer was withdrawn because the teacher asked a question on here. Nothing negative just a question about paperwork. Next morning, offer withdrawn. Boom.

11. the hippo

I believe that the principals of some (maybe not many) international schools do read through this TES forum, from time to time. moscowbore could well be right.

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  12. muddyfox_20

muddyfox_20 New commenter

What absolute tosh. You really think scammers are wasting their time trying to harvest personal data from a largely anonymous forum like this? Perhaps you could point me to the software that will do this too.

I am amazed at the self importance on this thread. Head teachers are not trawling through this forum. Nobody is having a job cut because they posted on here. It's just a place where a handful of regulars chat about their experiences overseas. You really believe that a head teacher has time to read this stuff? Utter nonsense.

13. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

Yes they do and then they set up a new username to catch us out... lots of new users lately.:rolleyes:

14. the hippo

Yikes! This is getting rather paranoid, BlueHues.

I always thought that principals had more important things to do, such as staying in posh hotels at the school's expense, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. But maybe I am just a smelly old hippo...

15. IndigoViolence

Ha. I only half laugh and jest. I don’t know- am having one of those days. I send over apologies.

16. Mitochondria1

https://community.tes.com/threads/delighted-of-dukhan.319469/page-10
    This one was rather suspicious. One day posts here, the next job gone with no explanation.

17. muddyfox_20

muddyfox_20 New commenter

Seriously, you honestly think that because someone states that they are heading to a certain town/city, without even naming the school, that a headteacher is going to think "nope not having that, better get rid of them". Don't be so silly.

18. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'You really believe that a head teacher has time to read this stuff?'

Given the quality of some of the headteachers I have met over the years its probably all they do!!! As well as google candidates looking for possible dirt!!

19. IndigoViolence

Oh yes- the google test. I had a fabulous interview with a fabulous school- absolute dream. Panel of 3. One only asked one question- what would we find out about you on google... I explained. They then showed me a print out of it. Luckily it matched.

I didn’t get the job.

20. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'I didn’t get the job' - With that sort of attitude maybe you dodged a bullet??