1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer in China - help

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lpbray, Apr 21, 2020.

1. smith_jack823

smith_jack823 New commenter

As someone else who is planning to head to Shenzen to teach this year, could I also have a look at this doc?

2. jiveannie

jiveannie New commenter

Hi smith_jack
    I'm heading to Guangzhou in July - or whenever the borders open and the consulates are open for visas.
    Happy to have a conversation - and with Ipbray too!

lianaanthony likes this.
  3. jiveannie

jiveannie New commenter

Hi Ipbray

I am headed for a school in Guangzhou once the travel bans are lifted.

My school have assured me the job is still there, they will pay me, but I may have to teach online from the UK until borders are open.

Happy to have a conversation with you!

4. smith_jack823

smith_jack823 New commenter

Hi there,

I'm new to this site and have no clue how to PM someone :confused: but I would really be interested in chatting with you about your experience!

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

click on their username and from the dialogue box that pops up choose "start a conversation"

OLJackson likes this.
  6. jiveannie

jiveannie New commenter

At the very top right of this page, click on your icon and then you should be able to click where it says conversations. THats the equivalent of a DM and I have sent you a message to which you can reply!

7. hannahmgw

hannahmgw New commenter

Hi everyone
    I'm also hoping to get into China in August to start a 2 year teaching contract.
    We are watching the situation closely.
    Anyone who wants to get in touch to compare notes or tips on the situation please do! We are currently in London.
    All the best to everyone, have courage! Holding out hope that things will improve in these uncertain times.

8. hannahmgw

hannahmgw New commenter

Hi there!
    I don't suppose you would be able to send me the conversation too!
    I'm due to start a teaching job this year, supposed to be flying out in August, obviously watching the current situation closely.
    Thank you very much!

9. Chinawox

Chinawox New commenter

There was some ambiguity in the press release concerning the border closure, as it stated it applied to existing visas and that Entry by foreign nationals with visas issued after this announcement will not be affected. So the key events will be the visa process rather than the current rule, see https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjbxw/t1761867.shtml
    It is more nuanced perhaps than others think.
    Just to add, in my opinion, I don't think that come teachers still abroad since the outbreak will be allowed in by August, but again, its just a guess. These are all tough decisions for all involved, so good luck.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

hannahmgw, you have one of those TES Conversation things, sent to you by a smelly old hippopotamus.

11. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

The embassies have closed for legalizing documents and processing visas so it is all up in the air until they reopen their embassies.

Speculating is pointless really. Hopefully they open up soon but I doubg that international teacher visas are a priority for the CCP.

lianaanthony and rouxx like this.
  12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@gilderbeast2000 - maybe not as a whole, but someone still has to educate the top officials' kids (what, you thought they went to state schools.....!)

On the visa point - there would be an avalanche of applications if they refused entry. My guess is that they will allow entry for certain groups - so, for example, existing Z visas (which teachers should be on) might be allowed in, while those on short term business visas who need to do visa runs to Taipei or Hong Kong (and which teachers shouldn't be on - but might if they are at a dodgy school) won't. What I do expect will be required is that you will have to have a COVID-19 test done in the three or four days before travel, which will limit the number of countries people can fly from, and there will still be a quarantine requirement which might be done at home.

lianaanthony and MissTilscher like this.
  13. rhenium1963

rhenium1963 New commenter

Yes I am waiting to process my papers but at present the visa centres are closed.

lianaanthony likes this.
  14. LimeTime

LimeTime New commenter

Hi Jiveannie. I'm so pleased to have found others who are committed to heading out to China. I am in Suffolk UK, with plans to head to Huizhou near Shenzen for a 3 year contract. I've never taught in China before or been through China's Visa process. I am using Vital Consular an agency to manage the legalisation of my docs. But, with everything closed the 2 month long admin process can't start. I'll definately take some comfort in following this feed!

rhenium1963 likes this.
  15. rhenium1963

I will be following this feed too. I am due to head out to Shanghai for a two year contract. This will be my first international teaching job. Hopefully the visa and legalisation centres will open soon. Above all hopefully this dreadful virus will subside

16. the hippo

Yes, lianaanthony, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things. You need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen and the a menu should appear.

17. emugervo

emugervo New commenter

Hi everyone :) I am for Beijing in August. Hope to hear some positive news soon!

18. the hippo

My friends in Shenzhen tell me that yes, things are slowly (very slowly) getting back to normal.

Yes, the paperwork involved with getting a Chinese Z visa is pretty time-consuming. Yes, it is frustrating and maddening, even at the best of times, but the good news is that you really only have to go through this awful rigmarole once. Next year, the school's HR people will sort it all out for you and it will only take a week or so.

On the subject of HR, I have always found that the HR staff in most schools in the Middle East are AWFUL: rude, lazy, inefficient and incompetent. My school in China, by way of contrast, had the most wonderful, kind and super-helpful HR ladies imaginable. All of the expat teachers were always singing their praises. In fact, the HR ladies rarely wore their halos (they did not want to dazzle us) and they kept their wings folded indoors.

So is teaching in China going to be worth all of the hassle, lianaanthony, rhenium1963 and emugervo? Yes, yes, of course it will be! Here is a photo of my class, taken in our first year in Shenzhen. (Why would anyone want to teach anywhere else?)

P1150170.jpg

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  19. rhenium1963

Thanks to the hippo for your encouragement and positivity.

20. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

If this is your picture and anything like your real name, I advise strongly that you change them. Every international school in the world reads this forum.

Also, do not give away personal information like your location on a public forum. I would criticise my own children for doing this. Sorry if that sounds patronising.