1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer from China

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lanclass, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hi guys thanks for the advice this is really helps.
    Its for an education centre in Qingdao. I am qualified with 4 years experience. Will be teaching a-levels. The offer is with free accommodation and the other offers, such as medical, tickets and so on. Is there a payscale in China? Thinking of negotiating and wanted to know roughly what figure to give them based on my experience.

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Very low, even with the rest of the package. Like MofC, I'm comparing to Beijing but it seems very low.

MofC, which school are you going to?

3. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Things are going smoothly. School is getting together the papers we need to apply for the ZVisa, should have that sorted quickly in a local consulate in Mid-May. Apologies to OP for hijacking the post, can't be helped sometimes ;)

4. The pay is about right for an education centre. I am currently working here but don't worry that sort of money will make it easy for you to live here comfortably. A bus trip here is 1 RMB. Taxis start at 9 RMB. A really nice dumpling restaurant I have been to often sets you back about 11 - 15 RMB per person. More expensive places range from about 30 - upwards. MOst places I go to cost me about 100 RMB for 2 including a drink or two. The local watering hole sells Tsingtao beer for 10 RMB per 335 ml bottle or a gin and tonic will set you back 30 RMB for 2 before 7 pm. Buy large bottle of imported Kirin or Asahi beer from Japan (600 ml bottles) and you will pay 7.5 RMB. My grocery bill is usually about 200 - 350 RMB for 2 persons which include meat and expensive things like imported milk (I don't trust Chinese milk still) and cheese. These are both about 28 RMB each. I hope this helps.

5. The salary is really too low. If you are not pulling 20K+ rmb p/m then it isn't serious. More importantly the school is most likely no good. Is the school Chinese run? Is it for profit? How long has it been open? Is it attached to a Chinese state school? Do they offer A level and pre-alevel? Is it part of a chain of schools? Make sure you check your insurance as they are most likely using a chinese underwriter and the excess is very large on anything major-ish. Qingdao is ok but you will not be living the expat dream out there. Living costs are very low in China especially in provincial capitals. Living in Beijing can eat up your salary if you head to the expat haunts.

6. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

expat dream = good lifestyle + saving + travel (give or take).

7. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Good thing many of us teaching in China work in schools where the majority of students are NOT Chinese. [​IMG]

8. My previous posts have been removed. I again will warn you not to sign up with a Chinese company beginning with D and ending in T. Good to see that they are monitoring the TES instead of actually focusing on education matters...

9. Previous Posts removed? Users banned for no reason? The TES is getting more like Chiina every day! (Cue post removal and banning no doubt!) But seriously,.. if you are thinking about going to China, don't mention the three T's: Tianamen, Tibet and Thaiwan, because there really is no such as free speech there, however advanced the country pretends it is; 'Human rights' is still a 'Concept' to them that they're trying to figure out, like 'Communism' to an American; to them it just really doesn't seem to make sense. And that translates into management practices being the wrong side of feudalism. Nevermind the D and the T, try avoiding the Ying and the Yao, if you get my hint, in china's colleges because it's almost impossible to find a good one that is Chinese and run by the chinese. In practical terms, if you're still so desperate for a job you're still interested in China, don't leave home without them sending you a Working visa. If you arrive without one you can face a HUGE fine, and believe me that local police check on colleges because they're after a backhander too! If they're llucky and they catch a college out, not only do you pay but the college pays too and you can easily be deported and charged for the expense of your return flight as well as your fine. Think twice about working there, unless it's a top flight British International School run by British management - even though it will still be owned by Chinese of course! And lastly do yourself a favour and do your homework, ie. go through all the forums on China here before you even think about signing a contract. Good Luck.

10. Internetstartup - I've taught oral English in China all year, in a Chinese middle school, and have found the vast majority of my students to be nothing but polite, welcoming and respectful. The few who aren't interested in learning English may not like me, but they don't broadcast it in my lessons and tend not to disrupt my lessons beyond the odd whsipered conversation with a classmate. I have also taught in a primary school and have had the same experience. I appreciate that you may have had a bad experience and will never teach in China again, but not all schools will be the same and to ward people off from 'any job offer' is a bit extreme. This:
    I just find offensive, considering the friends I have made who are Chinese. Every nation has children/students/people who are 'sneaky and duplicitous', not just the Chinese.
    lanclass, I don't know if this helps but I came to China with a British organisation who dealt with everything for me, the result was working in an everyday middle school in Shanghai with low pay, free accomodation and return flight reimbursement (something I knew I was letting myself in for, as I am not a qualified teacher and instead completed a two-week TEFL course when I arrived in China). I was paid 5000RMB a month. PROs: it was more than enough to get by, I could easily afford to eat/travel even though I lived in Shanghai which is one of the most expensive cities in China. CONs: I couldn't save any decent money, and I did miss out of the expat lifestyle, and going out at night to bars/clubs/etc was a rare treat.
    Whether you accept depends on how qualified you are and what wage you're willing to go for, and what kind of lifestyle you intend to live while you're over here. There are PLENTY of vacancies for English teachers over here so if you're not happy with that offer shop around a bit. Good luck!

11. Woah,

Some pretty offensive comments about the Chinese. My experience is that they are extremely driven (due to parental and cultural pressure to succeed). When they are not successful through their own efforts then their frustration can be channelled in a number of ways - including blaming the teacher.

Back to the original poster - +150K pa is enough to live on in China but you will not be able to have the full expat experience - by which I mean western restaurants, international hotels and expensive holidays. Of course this is not the reason that all people travel to work in China. If you wish to have a more authentic Chinese experience (by necessity, not choice) this will be enough. However, you will need an ability to speak Chinese to access this.

One international school in Guangzhou pays 320K pa, no tax and 9K p.m housing. I'm not sure if this is a particularly high paying school, although I'd guess it was in the top band.

12. mousethew

mousethew New commenter

320K after tax; not 'no tax', but otherwise yes. I work in another school (not in Guangzhou) that pays similar amounts.

13. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Actually, the top tier schools in China are not of the British flavor (at least not in Beijing, Shanghai or Nanjing). You are correct that any reputable international school in China would ensure that you have your letter of invitation etc and proper entry visa before coming to China.

14. mousethew

mousethew New commenter

There are reputable schools that are "British" in name in each of those cities - none of them linked to each other. 'top tier' is a term that can exclude most schools depending on the definition; very few score 'top tier' in every category: parental satisfaction, local employees, overseas hire, resources, facilities, children etc. In fact, I would think on those counts perhaps there's only one in China (and I don't work there). However, I agree any school should have the proper documentation for employees before their arrival in China.

15. The Chinese are very soon going to be victims of their own very shortlived success. Can anyone even imagine how much human waste 1.3 billion people produce every year or even every day. God only knows where they put it all. Beijing is presently being slowly strangled by the amount of manufactured waste they throw away. The 'landfills' - or rubbish dumps to we commoners - surrounding the city are all due to be filled by the year 2014. Where will they put all their waste then? Nobody knows.
    I should modify my earlier comments and say that although many of my students were great, a small percentage where demons on a temporary pass from hell.
    It only takes a small amount of arsenic to kill someone and it only takes a couple of students to destroy you in a school.
    If things go 'pear-shaped' you'll have no support

16. Would agree with Internetstartup regarding student power in Chinese schools. Some students will try to test you out and will deliberately ask obtuse questions to test your subject knowledge - mostly questions that are way beyond syllabus. You can NEVER admit to a Chinese student that you do not know something as you are finished in the school as a teacher. I have seen several colleagues receive torrid times due to this. Teachers who try to discipline children also find that their contracts will not be renewed as they also don't like this. There is NO support whatsoever for teachers should they have problems with students and class teachers are petrified of crossing them. I have also been horrified at the way non-cacausian expat teachers are treated both by the children and staff management.

17. The issue I had with Internetstartup's post was the idea that you should beware every job offer that comes from China, and the suggestion that all Chinese are devious/sneaky/etc. Perhaps I was lucky, but I didn't witness any behaviour like this. I have only taught in one middle school for one year, so obviously my experience might be limited compared to yours.
    I would whole-heartedly agree with your comment that there is no support for teachers should there be problems. In the school I worked at there was no behaviour policy, no sanctions/rewards system - I had a friendly year group behind me, but all they could do was give particular students a talking-to/lecture or go directly to parents, most of whom either weren't interested or defended their child to the death. Luckily I only ever had low-level behaviour issues to deal with, with one or two students removed from my class to spend my lesson in the teacher's office doing other subject work, but I can say that as an unqualified teacher with little experience of teaching a whole class (let alone a class of 40!) I found the first few lessons extremely nerve-wracking.

18. what's Chinese for "that teacher keeps staring at my breasts"

19. Don't mention oral to this poster please he can't be expected to handle his urges.

20. [​IMG]
    I laughed audibly. Very good.