1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer for NQT in Qatar - Please help

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ddeacon1, May 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ddeacon1

ddeacon1 New commenter

Hello,

My friend and I have just been offered a teaching position in Doha, Qatar. We have recieved the salary which was just under 9000qar which seems pretty low, is that standard for NQTs? They have included accommodation and all utilities, medical cover and annual return flights. However, I do not think a car is included (not sure if I need it as I have never visited Qatar). Can I live in Qatar on this salary? I was hoping to save £1000gbp per month, do you think this is possible? I am not a bit drinker, but I will be wanting to experience what Qatar has to offer.

Please help or provide any advice as I have to accept/sign the contact by Sunday this week (2 days)

Thank you :)

2. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

I don't know anything about Qatar but I would be wary anyone who puts pressure on you to make a quick decision. My suspicion would be that they don't want to give you time for research. Does the school have a good reputation? What kind of things come up when you do an online search?

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

9000 is a ridiculously low salary do not accept. You will need a car. You will struggle to have any sort of life never mind saving.
    Just say no.

dljames2013 likes this.
  4. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

It's low but don't say no, say you'd like to take the job but you cab earn such and such in the UK and you would like to have a similar salary in Qatar. Then just say it's 12000QAR which is roughly what you;d get in the UK I think. Don't just say no though as you've got a bird in the hand. You'll save a grand then.

5. Kurly

Kurly New commenter

Moscowbore is right don't accept it.The offer is pitiful.The school will be absolutely awful.You will not enjoy it and will still need to get QTS or whatever it is.Say no on Sunday!

6. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I totally agree with the other posters - DO NOT ACCEPT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! That is an insult of a salary. Things are expensive in Qatar. Yes you need a car there is no proper form of public transport (there are some bus routes but you would be sharing this with the migrant workers who will stare and letch - presuming you are female?)

If it was a decent school in Qatar which are few, then the salary would be at least 11,500 / month which only just doable.

dljames2013 likes this.
  7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

For an NQT? I think the expectations are a little unreasonable. Is it reasonable to ask for the same salary as in the UK, when a free house and flights are included, and there's no tax?
    Cost of living is probably similar, but without rent and tax, Qatar wins hands down, financially.
    Whether the school is a decent one, that's a tough question. Qatar has been hit hard economically and schools have had to cut back. Even the best ones are dropping salaries, particularly for newcomers, so you can't measure with the same stick we used a year ago.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As usual, we have some wise words from gulfgolf. Of course Madam A***'s rotten apple schools are pretty lousy and no, she and the doctor do not give NQTs reduced timetables or mentoring or Letters of No Objection or anything. There are quite a few other scummy schools in Qatar, like the schools where the fat is chewed, and you can read the outrageous / salacious / exaggerated / hysterical / absolutely true reviews in the august pages of The International Schools' Review, if you have a strong stomach.

The fact that it is now nearly the end of May and ddeacon1's school has only just finished recruiting for August suggests that it probably is a pretty blooming awful institution. How I remember those impossibly racist Qatari boys throwing their bags at the Somali or Ethiopian maids! Yes, what fun it was to see the horrendous traffic jams caused by all of those white LandCruisers parked outside the school gates! Then there was the day when the sky was dark with smoke from the fire at Villaggio. I do not remember how many children and their teachers died in that fire, but the last I heard was that Villaggio's Qatari owner has still not been punished.

On the other hand, a rubbish salary in Qatar may actually be worth more than a good salary in the UK, when you factor in a few little things like Council Tax, Income Tax, utilities, the high cost of renting just about anything anywhere in central or southern England and the absurdly expensive buses and trains. As for the problem of transport in and around Doha, I knew quite a few young female teachers who had Boyfriends With Cars. (If you really want to know, girls, Doha Rugby Club is a good place to find a BWC.) Yes, it is all very well for the posters on this forum to give advice and to tell ddeacon1 to stay in the UK, but these golden words of wisdom do not actually pay for train fares or Council Tax or rent for an apartment.

On a number of occasions, I have highlighted the fact that a certain type of "international" school seems to prefer recruiting NQTs, as they are cheaper and easier to bully.

If ddeacon1 really is set on making a career in international schools, then I suppose that he or she has to start somewhere. On the other hand, if ddeacon1 is already planning to return to teach in the UK in the foreseeable future, then it does not make any sense to go to Qatar at this point in his / her career. Building up worthwhile and relevant experience in the UK would be my advice.

Those are some of the main arguments that I can think of, for and against.

9. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

This is only £1700 a month, so you are expecting to live on £700. You could probably do this as you say everything else except food is included. If you don't have a car in Doha it would be difficult to get around. Don't try walking in the heat and humidity. I think I agree with the majority of posters that the salary is too low. Qatar is also a pretty awful place to live.

dljames2013 likes this.
  10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I loved Qatar. Spent many years there.
    The salary is low, but the OP is an NQT, so that evens out. We all have to work up the ladder.

11. musikteech

Ah but the OP would earn more as an NQT in the UK than on 9000 in that Doha tiny city with about one super market in the city centre if i remember correctly.

12. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

Qatar is not cheap at all. The salary is very low. You may be able to save a bit if you stay in and watch tv all the time. The fact that you are being pressured to sign a contract is a very bad sign. Do not be pressured and tell them that you can't sign anything until all the details have been finalised. This is a classic sales method of someone offering a poor deal. They need very cheap teachers they can work to death like an Indian construction worker working on a football stadium as much as you need a job. Do not be afraid to negotiate. Flatter them, how you love the look of the school, the interviewer was great and able to answer all your questions and you are excited about the opportunity but you have spoken to people who live in Qatar, who explained how expensive it is, how low the salary is and the need to run a car to be able to live in the place. Then suggest 12300 and see what happens. I think 12000 AED for an NQT would be reasonable and allow you to live and save a bit. 9000 is taking the mick. You also need to have the strength to say, 'No' and keep looking. There are usually plenty of jobs in these places, even though most are advertised earlier in the year. But be prepared to walk.

davidbowiefan and dljames2013 like this.
  13. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

May I suggest that you do some research before accepting any international job. Have you visited a Middle Eastern country before? Don't want to sound patronising, but Qatar is not Dubai.

14. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

A very good suggestion indeed!

It is not expensive to hop on a plane and visit the place for a week now or in the half term. Indeed, you might even suggest to the school that you would love to visit the school before signing the contract and finalise the details (and ask them to put you up in a hotel if you pay the air fare). Do NOT be pressured into signing anything until you are completely happy with what is written down and have you salary nailed down both this year and next. And if they have promised you something verbally, but it isn't in the contract, don't be afraid to go back to them and ask them to insert it (and asking them to do this is a good way of delaying making a decision if you need more time). If something isn't written down, expect it not to be honoured.

15. musikteech

Lol. it'll cost the OP his 9000 month's salary, what on earth are you talking about. Just cos you have your own company and can make 'business' trips abroad, doesn't mean everyone can. We all know he isn't going to fly all the way over to Doha just to see some trollop school. Thanks. but no thanks.

16. abuameer90

abuameer90 New commenter

"Some trollop school" - I just love that quote...having worked in Doha, there be many of the trollop variety, to be sure!