1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job offer Doha - Advice?!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by oli288, Apr 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. oli288

oli288 New commenter

Hi all,

I have been offered a job in Doha, Qatar but I am new to international schools so have no idea what is good and what isn't the greatest. I have been offered 12000 QAR a month with accommodation provided/ allowance of 5500QAR. This seems like a pretty decent offer for someone in their 2nd year of teaching but I am unsure?

Does anyone have any advice about salary/ living in Qatar in regards to cost of living?

Also, there seems to be a lot of job advertisements for this school online in a range of subjects and SLT roles. Should this be a major concern?

Thanks!

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Well congrats on your offer of employment, the package that you mention doesn’t seem bad what’s the rest of it? Medical/flight/shipping etc. The bells I hear at the moment are about the other positions that are open, as in Doha they started their advertisement early as of last year, so having that many still open makes you wonder.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As this smelly old hippo has pointed out, on many occasions, there are some truly terrible schools in Doha. A bit of online research will reveal whether or not the OP has been offered a job at one of the rotten apples.

4. oli288

oli288 New commenter

I have done a bit of research online but the latest review I could find was dated back in 2017 and stated it is ‘improving’ under new management. There haven’t been any bad posts since. Could that be a sign of positivity?

5. oli288

oli288 New commenter

Package has all the things any other school would offer. Medical insurance, flight allowance, excess baggage allowance, residency cost.

6. emmettsfan

emmettsfan New commenter

Having recently asked a similar question re' package for Qatar:

Feedback from the community suggests the salary offered is pretty standard for your amount of experience - although I have seen offers of significantly less posted here.

There are numerous living cost comparison sites on-line. Depending on your needs, significant savings are possible. As it's getting late in the recruitment drive for schools, you should bear this in mind. Good luck with what ever you decide.

7. the hippo

Some wise words from emmettsfan. Yes, we are nearly in May and it is getting a bit late in the recruitment season, so a lot of the best jobs have already gone for August 2019.

Yes, salaries in Qatar seem to be not quite so good these days. I have had that impression, from various sources. The bad news, of course, is that the blockade seems to have pushed up prices for many things. The QDC (aka the Booze Shop) will probably not be getting so many customers.

What about savings? Well, as this overweight swamp-dweller has pointed out many times, this very much depends on your spending patterns. An expensive holiday (or two) can empty the piggybank. Another significant expense can be transport. Yes, petrol is still wonderfully cheap, but buying a car is not so cheap and of course the repairs can cost you a fortune, especially if you get your main dealer to do everything. There used to be a great (and very cheap) Indian-run garage by the flyover, just off the Salwa Rd. Probably it has been demolished by now, to make way for a new block of apartments or another stadium for the World Cup...

8. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

The salary is mid-range. One may have a good guess on the establishment you are about to extend your experience. Best of luck to you. Your behavior management style and skills WILL be pressed. As for the housing allowance, you have to be very savvy on where you'd want to live because 5500QR/month doesn't go far in these sand dunes.

9. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

It seems to be an easy guess as to where you have been offered a job. It may be a challenge but it will build you up as a person. With this in mind, I would advise anyone to take such a job. We need to experience challenging situations in order to become stronger people. Some like it whilst others complain. If you can fit in then you are good to go.

The package is pretty standard for UK teachers. Accommodation for 1 room can be found for 5000 qar or even 4000 qar for a good studio apartment. It's always best to take the employer accommodation if it's your first time in the country.

10. mzeinab1992

mzeinab1992 New commenter

Hi Hippo, I have been silently reading through many of the posts on here for some time and am always left giggling by your comments. Thanks.

I'm a TES noob and can't seem to find the option to private message you (is this even a feature?) as I was hoping to find out about a particular school which has offered me a job. I have tried to do the research, but there seems to be absolutely nothing about it I can fish out online. By the way, this school is offering me a 10k monthly salary with the usual (medical, flights accomodation etc) as well as utilities and wifi paid for. I have said no due to the low salary which I feel does not compensate me for my 4 years of teaching experience and recruiters are adamant to get me the position, saying they will try to negotiate for higher. Might I add, according to the recruiters, one can climb the financial Ladder relatively quickly in this school.

Sorry to ramble on. If you manage to find the time to respond to this I'd appreciate your two cents on it. Sorry to the OP , I don't know how to post a new thread (well, actually, I'm on my phone and cant be bothered to navigate this site)

Thank you

11. the hippo

mzeinab, yes, of course I will help you, if I possibly can. Yes, you can indeed send me a message and it is called a TES Conversation.

First of all, you need to go to the little picture of yourself, in the top right-hand corner of the screen. I think it is called an Avatar, but I might be wrong. (Anyway, my little picture shows an embarrassing photo of Mrs. Hippo and I having a chat in the bath.) You click on the picture and a little menu appears. Click on "Conversations" and any TES Conversations that you have should appear on your screen. Anyway, I have now sent you one of these TES Conversations, so I hope you can find it.

As has been said before, salaries in Qatar seem to have stagnated over the last few years and prices have gone up. That is what I have heard, from a variety of sources. If you already have four years of teaching experience, then 10,000 QR a month is not so great. Have you ever thought of teaching in Bulgaria? Or how about China?

puggerchris likes this.
  12. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

What about the 'directional' school that has opened a new campus most recently? I've seen a job and may apply for that campus...

13. the hippo

You could do a lot worse.

adrixargentina likes this.
  14. taiyah

@adrixargentina this is a mid-range school owned by NA. It's lack of organization is evident in the rush of positions advertised. But in all fairness none of it is the fault of any SLTs. Noone knew when the building was going to be finished or if it's going to be populated by one of its city branches.

Give it a go.

adrixargentina likes this.
  15. adrixargentina

Thanks Taiyah. I applied.

I've just seen another job at the shiny stones and the waterproof boot in Qatar. Can anyone tell me anything -- it's not on ISR (PM me if not appropriate here.) Thanks in advance!

16. taiyah

They recently got an ISR review.

17. adrixargentina

I had a look last night... Must have missed it! Thanks.

18. the hippo

Don't know much about the big boots. I knew a lady who worked at the one in Dubai and on the whole she was quite positive: better salary, good accommodation and an emphasis on the "corporate brand" that some teachers might find annoying.

19. mattcorfield

mattcorfield New commenter

Hi Hippo, I have been offered a job in Qatar and you seem a of an expert for answering people’s questions about Qatar! Could I possible start a private conversation with you to ask a could of questions?

20. the hippo

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things. I do not know about being an "expert". Yes, Mrs Hippopotamus and I were there for five years and I do my best to help people.