1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job notifications

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rdenigris, Feb 22, 2020.

1. rdenigris

rdenigris New commenter

Hi all,

I'm fairly idle in TES, been on the same job for a long time so haven't used the job searching stuff ever. I have a question, looked around but could not find it, hopefully someone can enlighten me:

Sometimes I get notifications at the top of the page when I log in, saying " XXXX school thinks you'd be a great candidate for this job opportunity:" followed by the details and such. I don't think I have a job alert set up, but I did put myself as open for job offers somewhere I think. Not quite actively looking at the moment, but definitely thinking about it.

What I am wondering is, when you get a notification like that, what does it exactly mean? That the website algorithm thinks my characteristics are a good match for that job? Or has some recruiter from that school actually seen my profile and thought I'd be a good candidate? Is this an automated thing, or is this a real invitation? What does that mean for my chances?

Thank you!

2. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

It’s a website algorithm.
    I know this because I got one today suggesting a maths vacancy for me. I got it because it is in the area where I work, and has a slightly higher salary than I am currently on, therefore a computer would see it as a good promotion. No one who knows me, who know I count using my fingers and am banned from doing maths covers in school because I do it all wrong, would ever consider that to be a viable option for me.
    So basically a computer is drawing it to your attention.

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. janavis467

janavis467 New commenter

The algoithms aren't very clever then.

As a physics teacher I've recently been told that I'm a good match and invited to apply for posts teaching PE and, worse, Biology.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You'd be surprised at the highly unlikely jobs that get suggested to me!

If it seems appropriate for you, then apply. If not, don't. But don't think that anyone from the schools has any idea that TES has suggested any job to you!

Best wishes